Profile: Lola Akinsola

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Temple University is full of interesting people with bright dreams. A young Nigerian-American senior named Lola Akinsola is a young woman that I met in the Student Center on campus. She was sitting at the information table for the Sigma Gamma Rho sorority. She greeted me with a lovely smile as I approached the table so decided that she would be a great candidate to profile for a story!

What’s your major? Where are you from?

“I am majoring in Kinesiology. I am from Brooklyn, New York and Philly raised and Nigerian bred.”

What year are you in?

“I am graduating! A graduating senior in May 2017.”

What are your career goals?

“My career goals are to become a cosmetic dermatologist. I want to create my own skincare line. I am interested in skincare and being healthy and loving the way that you look! There aren’t many black dermatologists that deal with our hardships of our skin. We need people that struggle. I’d pitch a face wash to target those issues.”

What organizations are you a part of on campus?

“I am the president and founder of the Black Professional Health Association, known as BPHA. We want to create a community of black future [health] professionals. We want to unify black health professionals on campus and it’s helpful to come together to talk about things we have in common within the field. BPHA was created as a resource to build that bond and to help people get to the next stage. I am also a member of Sigma Gamma Rho as the recording secretary during chapter meetings. I ensure that everyone receives thorough notes.”

What’s your favorite store to shop at?

“I literally shop anywhere from Target to the thrift store to online stores. I find that Forever21 is too trendy.”

What’s is your outfit inspiration?

“My go-to outfit is a leather jacket, a light top like a tube top that’s black, or light blue skinny jeans or black. I love all laid back outfits. I love platform heels with my blue jeans. I usually wear all black.”

Who is your style icon?

The late-great 90s R&B singer, Aaliyah, is really chill. Her outfit was really chill and comfy, there wasn’t a lot going on. I don’t want to feel uncomfortable. Simple is better for me because less is more. Her style was like less but her style was simple and bomb.”

What’s your fashion fun fact?

“Just because it’s expensive doesn’t make it cute! Here’s an example, Kanye West’s line, I promise you that if you take his name off of it no one would wear it. People hate the replicas but love his clothing.”

I am a student at Temple University and I aspire to be a Journalist. My passion in life is writing because I have the ability to express myself creatively through words. I enjoy writing poetry and I especially enjoy being a staff writer for the Fashion and Beauty section for Her Campus Temple! My missions in life are to be an inspiration to young girls, help others, and encourage young women and girls to feel beautiful!
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.