Peace in the City: A Non-Violence & Suicide Awareness Music & Theatre Fest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Suicide affects us all. 

With the devastating loss of a fellow Owl last semester due to suicide and others that have occurred throughout the years on Temple’s campus, it is imperative that we as students speak up and speak out about the issue of suicide.

That is why Her Campus Temple has partnered with iChoose2live, an organization’s whose mission is to inspire young adults through art, education and community outreach, to create the event Peace in the City, A Play: An Anti-Bullying and Suicide Awareness and Music Fest. 

Performers include Jade Alston, Yazz the Greatest and Temple’s very own, BriaMarie and more! 

When the Smoke Cleared” is a play that discusses the issue of suicide, how it affects family, friends and loved ones and how it can be prevented. The play will be held on Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 in the Temple Performing Arts Center at 6:30 p.m. The event is free! 

Our sponsors include Temple Student Government, Temple Performing Arts Center, Kings Rule Together, Sincerely Syreeta, Peace N’ Philly, Philadelphia Youth Commission, Cecil B. Moore Community Development Corporation, and Philadelphia Youth Poetry Movement. 

Yumnah Najah Designs and Currant J. Swint of Kings Rule Together will be raffling off some of their products from their lines! 

Over 50 organizations are co-sponsoring this event:

Students for Justice in Palestine. Collaborate Philly. Temple Student Government. Temple Association of Black Journalists. Muslim Student Association. Hillel at Temple University. Temple College Democrats. Temple College Republicans. Society of Caribbean Awareness. Whose You Landlord, Inc. Untapped, Inc. Youth Action. All In: Multiculturalism. Philly Youth Commission. Babel. Resident Hall Association. Delta Chi Psi. Kings Rule Together. Delta Zeta. Temple Queer Student Union. Aephi. React to Film. In-Motion Dance Team. Jump Philly. Media Meltdown Productions. Philadelphia Youth Poetry Movement. Esencia Latina. Haitian Student Organization. Main Campus Program Board. Temple Asocion de Estudiantes Latinos. TU Saves the Music. Aperture. Mirrorwall Films. Sincerely Syreeta. National Pan-Hellenic Council. Black Student Union. Yumnah Najah Designs. Temple Music and Industry Student Association. Temple University Greek Association. Organization of African Students. SAGA Radio. Multicultural Greek Council. Temple Asian Student Association. Cecil B. Moore Community Development Corporation. Her Campus Temple. ichoose2live. Mayor Michael A. Nutter, Temple alumnus and SuperBowl Champion Raheem Brock and Temple’s own, Simone Goldsmith will be speaking!

Her Campus Temple and many other student organizations are choosing to live. Will you?

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!