Panhellenic Sorority President Spotlight: Olivia Farkas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Her Campus Temple knows that Greek Life is a life changing experience (our CCs are both Greek!) and it’s a lot of work. Sorority women, across all councils, do so much work and give back to Temple and the North Philadelphia community. Sometimes, they don’t get the recognition they deserve. But, we want to change that. We’re starting with Temple’s Panhellenic Council presidents, an amazing group of women who are total #GirlBosses. We want to be like them when we grow and we’re sure you will too.
***
Alpha Xi Delta may be the newest organization on Temple’s Greek block, but these girls are no joke. (Writer note: completely biased, AXiD opinion) The start of May will be their second official year as an initiated chapter on Temple’s campus. We got their 2016 President, Olivia Farkas, to answer some questions for us about what it means to be a leader and how she wants to erase the stigma surrounding Greek Life.

Name: Olivia Farkas​
Year: Junior
Major: Psychology
Organization: Alpha Xi Delta​
Semester & Year Joined: Spring 2014​
Positions You Held Before President: ​Philanthropy Chair, New Member Educator​

Why did you decide to join your organization?: I joined Alpha Xi Delta in a time that I truly needed to. I was a lost freshmen who just came to Temple, and I wasn’t making friends as quickly as I thought I would. I wanted to go out for Panhel recruitment, but I didn’t understand it then. I only knew of sororities through the stigmas, and I didn’t feel the need to recognize with that at the time. My roommate who joined another Panhel sorority at Temple told me that a new sorority was colonizing and that I should check it out because her great-grandbig was a founder of her chapter here at Temple and completely loved it. I took her word for it, and looking back, I’m so glad I did. From the moment I met the Alpha Xi Delta women from Fraternity Headquarters, I knew this sorority was for me. Not only did Alpha Xi Delta value leadership, it valued sisterhood, respect, and love. I knew I didn’t want to join a sorority based on being superficial. Alpha Xi Delta showed me that being beautiful on the inside is enough and is the only thing in this world that truly matters.

What do you think the most important part about being a leader is?​: The most important part about being a leader, I think, is having the passion for what you do. Being a leader in anything is difficult if you can’t find the passion for it. I also think being a leader is also about being someone everyone can look up to. I think that’s an important aspect and something that even myself struggles with. 

How are you striving to change the Greek community? The Temple community?: If you ask anyone who knows me, I truly strive to change the Greek community. I believe Greek Life is incredibly undervalued and under-appreciated, but I know that comes​ from a place of insecurity and sometimes, hate. We have a bad stigma, it’s true. But I try my best to at least help my chapter develop into the chapter than can inspire others to do the same. 

How has your sorority experience impacted your life?: Alpha Xi Delta has impacted my life in so many ways, I can’t even list them all!​ Alpha Xi Delta has absolutely taught me how to be a better woman and how to respect myself. I believe that’s one of the most underrated aspects of joining a sorority. The example that your chapter holds you too is so amazing. It can be frustrating to hear from someone that you’re messing up, but in the same sense, it helps you build into a better person who’s accountable of her life and accountable of how she portrays herself. In the world we live in, we need to empower women to act to their greatest potential, and that is something AXiD has given me that I don’t think anything else could provide.

Do you think your sorority experience will help your further your career? Why/why not?
​If I said joining a sorority didn’t further your experience professionally, I would be completely lying. I don’t understand how anyone could have downsides to joining a Greek organization! The benefits it can provide you academically, professionally, socially, and personally are just beyond incredible. I would never have the skills I have today to take me beyond my undergrad without it.

Describe your organization in three words? 
​T​his one’s tough, but I’d definitely have to say intelligent, caring, and down-to-earth!

Any special stories/shout outs?: I just want to give a shout out to my entire chapter! They give me so much as a whole and there’s nothing I’ll ever be able to do to repay each one of them back 100% for EVERYTHING they’ve given me. I am so thankful for them staying by my side and supporting me through it all. I’m so proud of them! And I’m so lucky to have them in my life. I love you guys!

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.