PAFA’s ‘Beyond the Paint’ Celebrates Philly Mural Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On Thursday, November 14, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts held the grand opening of its new gallery, Beyond the Paint: Philadelphia’s Mural Arts. Unlike most galleries that just display art, this gallery told the story of the past, present and the future of the Mural Arts Program.

For those who don’t know, the Mural Arts Program began in 1984 as a part of Philadelphia’s Anti-Graffiti Act, promoted by former Mayor Wilson Goode (1984-1992). Executive Director Jane Golden was brought on to the program when it was meant to rid the city of the graffiti plastered almost everywhere. However, she noticed the untapped talent the young graffiti artists had and helped them channel their talent into murals, which could be legally placed everywhere in the city and help inspire others.

Each mural was painted for a purpose and told a unique story. When areas ran rampant with violence, a mural was made to bring the community together. A mural helping an area that is overwrought with problems may seem impossible, however that’s not true. Artists that worked on the murals spoke to people in the community that walked by, who would ask questions and sometimes volunteer to help out.

Locals living in the area saw the whole painting process and learned from it, even after the mural was completed. And the program didn’t just stop there. Some of those who were incarcerated were able to give back to their community as well, by painting a mural in the prison that they used to be incarcerated in.

Beyond the Paint was a learning experience. As a Temple student, I see numerous murals as I travel down Broad Street towards main campus but I never stop to ask why they’re there. This exhibit will give you answers to those questions. It is a beautiful way to see and experience this city, especially for college students.  The exhibit is open now until April 6, 2014. 

Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.