This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

One of my favorite things about the fall/winter weather is the fashion that it calls for. The weather makes for the perfect opportunity to layer up in your thickest sweater and warmest jacket. Unfortunately, there is a downside to this change in weather: it can result in some harsh effects on your hair, skin, and nails meaning you’ll probably need to make slight adjustments to your beauty routine. Here is a guide on some cold weather beauty essentials to get you through these next few cold months.

1. Hydrating Hair Oil

According to Oxford Online Pharmacy, your scalp experiences more dehydration when faced with cold weather and intense indoor heat, causing your scalp to become dry and your hair to become brittle. A way to combat this issue is to treat your hair just as you would the rest of your skin when it is dry and moisturize with a hydrating oil.

Biosilk Hydrating Therapy Maracuja Oil

This product contains essential vitamins A and C to promote healthy and moisturized hair. The oil is really light, allowing your hair to absorb the product quickly. A little goes a long way with this product so apply a small amount to your hair daily, focusing on your ends wet or dry, to re-moisturize, reduce static, and add shine to your locks.

2. Face Moisturizer  

There’s nothing worse than realizing your skin is still dry when you’ve stepped outside despite putting moisturizer on. Often times if this is the case, a thicker face moisturizer is what you’ll need to fix that problem.

Pond’s Dry Skin Cream

This face cream is more on the thicker side, but it certainly gets the job done when it’s cold out. Because of its intense moisture, I would suggest applying this product as soon as you get out the shower so that it will absorb quicker into your skin without leaving an oily or greasy finish.

3. Exfoliating Body Scrub

The crisp, cold weather of the fall causes dry skin because there is no longer a lot of moisture in the air. It is important to exfoliate your skin to remove any dead skin cells so that your skin will feel smoother and appear brighter.

Bath & Body Works Stress Relief Eucalyptus and Spearmint Sugar Scrub

This scrub is a long-time favorite of mine because it has two main benefits. Not only does the scrub leave my skin feeling super smooth and soft after using it, the scrub also has a stress relieving factor to it because it contains essential oils. The scrub incorporates aromatherapy; in this case, it uses eucalyptus and spearmint oils to clear your mind. We all know how stressful college can get especially during finals season, so this scrub is a total must-have.

4. Body Butter

As with any exfoliator, you’ll need to follow up with a moisturizer. One thing about exfoliating is that it allows your skin to soak in any moisture that you apply to it easier. Instead of using a normal body lotion, opt for a body butter instead. Body butters are thicker and can lock in two times more moisture than a normal body lotion can. When it’s cold out, your skin needs all the moisture it could possibly get!

Shea Body Butter from the Body Shop

This body butter is extremely hydrating and prevents you from having to reapply throughout the day. It has actual shea butter in it, one of the best ingredients to moisturize your skin with in my opinion. Check out their website for tons of other body butter options. Pro tip: If regular body lotion is all you have for right now, mix a body oil of your choice and your lotion together and apply right after you get out the shower. You’re skin will be glowing.

5. Lip Scrub

Just as your skin does, your lips need exfoliation every once in awhile too!

Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub

I discovered this lip scrub from Lush nearly 8 years ago and still cannot get enough. This product is so much fun to use and is edible (major plus!). Use this lip scrub to exfoliate your lips whenever they are feeling extra dry, lick off the rest, and finish it off with any moisturizing lip balm.

6. Cuticle Oil

This final beauty essential has to do with something a lot of people tend to neglect during the cold months: nails and cuticles. Don’t be one of those people; both your nails and cuticles need love too!

OPI Avoplex Nail & Cuticle Replenishing Oil

This nail and cuticle treatment is a quick add-on to your beauty routine. If your cuticles are dry add a few drops of this oil to condition and soften them. After all, your cuticles protect your nails so if you are treating them right, you can count on having strong nails and even cuter manicures over the next few months!

So there you have it: six beauty essentials your hair, skin, and nails will thank you for during the fall and winter season. Don’t let the cold weather prevent you from glowing!

I am currently a junior majoring in Journalism at Temple University. Writing is my passion and my favorite form of expression. Aside from writing, I love all things fitness, fashion, beauty, and have an admiration for the city of Philadelphia. Instagram: @camilleejohnson
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus