Noah Centineo Wants to Be Your Fake Boyfriend in “The Perfect Date”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you enjoyed To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, Sierra Burgess Is A Loser or, you’re just looking for a cheesy teen movie to watch, you’ll love The Perfect Date.

Noah Centineo and Laura Marano star in Netflix’s newest teen romantic comedy and I actually really enjoyed it. The movie is based off of a book called The Stand-In by Steven Bloom. Bloom even helped produce the movie.

*Slight spoilers ahead*

The first time I saw the trailer I thought to myself “yup, this seems like the type of movie I would stay up till three in the morning to watch.”

I haven’t had that thought since Stranger Things season two was released. It has everything you would want in a teen rom-com: love, a bit of drama and a happy ending. Also, it features Noah Centineo, any movie with him is instantly amazing, right? *insert heart eye emoji here*

Centineo’s character, Brooks’, main goal is to get into his dream school, Yale University.

It was never stated what he wanted to major in, his entire goal was to just be accepted. Students could instantly relate to his character because some fresh out of high school students don’t know what they want to do after they graduate (I was one of them back in the day).

My thought was that it was nice that some people could relate to Centineo’s character.

The only issue was how he was going to pay for it. Brooks works at a sandwich shop with his best friend, Murph (Odiseas Georgiadis). He gets inspiration to create an app from a rebellious girl, Celia (Marano), that Brooks was paid to take to her high school formal.

With the help of Murph, they create an app that allows anyone to request Brooks as their “stand-in boyfriend” for the night. The user gets to pick how the evening goes. His new app takes him on a variety of dates including going to an art show and playing a game of tennis all with The Man by The Killers plays in the background, which is the perfect song choice for the montage.

Speaking of music, the movie is full of amazing songs including Not A Love Song by Bülow and two songs by Laura Marano: A Little Closer and Lie To Me.

Celia and Brooks continue to stay close throughout the film and it is pretty obvious that they are starting to have feelings for each other.

The two pretend to date to make Celia’s crush, Franklin (Blaine Kern III), jealous. Brooks also has a crush on popular girl, Shelby (Camila Mendes), and he also wants to impress her.

Approaching the end of the movie, Celia and Brooks make a scene, like they wanted, and broke up. Brooks got the girl of his dreams, but he lost the girl that was right for him. Will he get Celia back? Watch the movie to find out.

There was no doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t like the movie. I guess you could say I’m into cheesy rom-coms. I did, however, think the plot was a little easy to assume what would happen in the ending. But that’s okay, I still watched for Noah.

The moral of the whole movie is to just be yourself and to not lie about your personality to impress someone, or to get into your dream school.  

The Perfect Date is now streaming on Netflix.

Ashley is a senior journalism major at Temple University. She loves music, concerts, and celebrities. She loves to write all things fashion, lifestyle, and pop culture! Instagram: ashleygale23