New Year, New You: Tips for Sticking with Your New Years Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

How many times have you vowed to keep your New Year’s resolution to be healthier but by February you can hardly remember where the gym is? Don’t feel bad. Whether it’s two weeks or two months, most of us slowly but surely back down on our commitments to keep active and ditch the junk food. However, with these tricks for sticking to your resolution, 2012 could be the year that everything changes.

1. Try the buddy system: Find a friend who has the same fitness goals as you. By doing this you will be able to motivate each other to keep up with your exercise regime.  Studies show that group exercising isn’t just fun, it’s beneficial too! Lynne Vaughan, Chief Innovation Officer of the national YMCA, says that “working out in a group provides support, accountability, and structure.” Plus nothing makes a long jog fly by faster than catching up with friends!

photo credit

1. Making working out fun: Running endless miles on the treadmill will get boring for even the most dedicated sprinter. Finding fun ways to work out will make you less likely to ditch the gym to watch Kardashian reruns. Try going to a weekly Zumba class or signing up for an intramural sport with your floor-mates. By mixing up your fitness routine, you’ll work all kinds of muscles and become trimmed and toned all over. Check out http://www.temple.edu/studentaffairs/campusrec/to find out all the fun activities that Campus Rec has planned for this semester.

1. Plan Ahead: Treat exercising like a homework assignment.   Set aside specific times when you want to go to the gym just like you would to write a paper. If you schedule ahead of time you will be less likely to procrastinate or avoid working out all together. Try to find a time where you are most energized throughout the day and devote that time to hitting the weights.

1. Stock up on healthy snacks: It can be hard to resist that left over Maxi’s pizza sitting in your fridge when a craving hits in the middle of an all-nighter. Swap this and other unhealthy snacks for healthy treats so you don’t have to worry about feeling guilty after a late night binge session.  Some of my favorites include fresh veggies with hummus and any kind of fruit. There’s even a great fruit stand on 12th street that makes the best fruit salad and smoothies that are to die for.

photo credit

1. Reward Yourself: Set goals and make sure you reward yourself once they are reached. Did you do some sort of physical activity every day this week? Treat yourself to a bowl of ice cream at dinner. Did you finally knock off those 10 pounds you’ve been working towards? Go buy a new dress to show off your new figure. Nothing motivates you more to exercise and eat right than being rewarded when you reach your goals.

So what are you waiting for? Stop making excuses and start living up to your resolutions! Make 2012 the year that all your goals come true! I can’t wait to see all of your banging and in shape bodies this spring break.

Links to photos:

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine. 
Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!