Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit, is so Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Content Warning: addiction, alcoholism *Spoiler Alerts ahead!*

The Queen’s Gambit, which premiered October 23rd on Netflix, has quickly risen through the ranks and become a part of Netflix’s list of the Top 10 shows in the U.S. The Queen’s Gambit follows the life of chess-player prodigy Beth Harmon through childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. Along the way, themes prevailing to inequality, feminism, addiction, and loss, are examined within the show. 

While this is a show about chess, you don’t have to know anything about the game in order to follow the story and understand the importance of Beth Harmon’s character. 

Beth Harmon discovers her love for chess after she arrives at the Methuen orphanage. There she learns the game from the institution’s custodian, Mr. Shaibel. From there, the show expands to broader contexts than just the intricacies of chess.

Beth is instantly mesmerized by the game and it becomes obvious to the audience that she is destined for greatness in the world of chess. However, on her journey to becoming the best of the best, she is met with sexism and blatant confusion as to why a young girl is vying to be apart of a competition that is widely male-dominated. 

Upon entering her very first tournament, she is immediately told that there is no women’s division, to which Beth responds by demanding to be placed in the tournament with the rest of the men (and one other woman) Without intentionally doing so, Beth paves a way for women in chess and for women in male-dominated spaces in general.

The Queen’s Gambit also exemplifies the harsh realities of addiction, especially those that begin at a young age. Beth becomes addicted to tranquilizers at a very young age, and up until a certain point in the series, believes that she needs them to adequately deliver at her chess tournaments. 

Later in the show, Beth also heavily relies on alcohol to cope with the death of her adoptive mother and some small defeats in her chess journey. The show does not paint Beth’s addiction in a shameful light, instead it authentically portrays the instances in which many people in Beth’s position find themselves. To me, it casts the message that “you are not alone” and that there is hope to overcome addiction. 

The cinematography in this series is also incredible and greatly contributes to the important messages of Beth’s journey. Every glance, every look of focus and intent is captured. The audience has an invitation to truly know the in and outs of Beth’s soul, and how she remains determined to become the greatest chess player of all time. 

Beth Harmon is fearless in her endeavor to not only become a magnificent chess player, but also in her character’s portrayal of circumstances in which many people face. Despite being a fictional character, Beth’s development is a manifestation of a fierce feminism, the ability to persevere when times get tough, and the normalization of hardships like addiction, alcoholism, and loss. 

Fallon is a sophomore journalism major and political science minor at Temple University. She is the Graphic Designer for Her Campus at Temple and the News Editor of The Temple News. She enjoys writing about politics, mental health and gender, eating vegan food, color-coding everything and creating digital art. Follow her on Twitter @fallonroth_.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!