Cheer netflix
Cheer netflix
Netflix
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Ever wonder what the life of a competitive cheerleader is like? No? Well, I’m going to tell you anyway, because Netflix’s new show “Cheer” has slowly taken over my life and brought me back to my cheerleading days. So, sit back and grab your pom poms because this is a whirlwind.

P.S.: Spoiler Alert!

“Cheer” is a docuseries depicting the lives of the Navarro College cheerleaders while they prepare for a national competition in Daytona. Led by head coach Monica Aldama, The Navarro Bulldogs are at the top of the competition cheerleading food chain with a total of 14 National Championship wins. With that many titles under their belt, one usually wonders just what it takes to be a Navarro cheerleader.

Well, it takes a lot.

The show does not sugarcoat just how complex competitive cheerleading actually is. Competitive cheerleading is difficult (thank God I only cheered in grade school). There is a lot that goes into a competition routine, and “Cheer” shows exactly that. In episode three, one of the top girls, Mackenzie “Sherbs” Sherburn, was dropped in the middle of a practice run for the Daytona choreography, which they had to change quickly due to the severity of her injury. Despite the show’s acclaim, many people are concerned with how hard the cheerleaders work in order to hit perfectly. And that concern shows during Sherbs’s injury and many more throughout the show.

However, this series also shows just how connected each member of the team really is with each other. Scene stealer Jerry Harris was one of the main team members that I really liked because of his genuinely bright nature and encouraging “mat talk.” Each member of the team had their own stories that so many people could relate to, and that’s why I think the series is as successful as it is. 

“Cheer” is an amazing series, and I can’t wait to find out more about the next competition season and where everyone will go after Navarro. Fingers crossed that we get to see the team at Daytona again!    

Hellooo! I'm Sydnee a senior at Temple University studying advertising. I watch way too much t.v. and eat tons of pizza. When I'm not sitting in my room (which is often) you can catch me at Jamba Juice laughing at some random meme I found on Pinterest.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.