Namaste in Style: Why We Love Leggings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Athletic attire has been getting cuter and cuter. Gone are the days of sweating through a battered hand-me-down T-shirt, and here is the era of colorful sports bras and leggings-galore.

Still, too often, leggings get a bad rap. They’re too tight, they’re too casual, they make her butt look too big. These are three complaints from my high school administration, and many girl’s moms, who tried (and, thankfully, failed) to ban the clothing article from the school dress code the year after I graduated.

But, when you break it down, there are few clothing articles quite as versatile as a pair of leggings. Here’s why leggings are a worthwhile purchase regardless of how often you actually work out.

1. First off, leggings are undeniably cute. They mold to your body to show off your best features. Since every girl’s shape is naturally flawless, (duh) they’re a great item to wear if you want to strut your stuff. Besides, her butt does look big, and it looks good.

2. Second, shopping for leggings is a stimulating experience in and of itself. Leggings come in different colors, patterns, and lengths, so there is no excuse not to be original. My favorite pair has cutout patterns on the shins, which give off some flare.

3. Third, you can literally do everything in leggings. And when I say everything, I mean it. The fabric is stretchy enough for working out, such as running, weight lifting, or yoga, but also comfy enough for lounging around and doing absolutely nothing.

If you own a pair of black leggings, you can even dress them up and wear them out to dinner. Talk about resourceful! Just make sure your shirt is long enough to cover any emblems (such as a Nike or Under Armor symbol) that might be on the hip, or you might receive judgmental glances from your peers.

4. Depending on what you prefer, leggings can be worn with or without shoes. That means you can paint your toes your favorite color or slip on whatever trendy footwear you think will match your outfit best.

And, really, there’s no better combo than cuteness and comfort (and perhaps toned legs).

How do you wear leggings? Let us know in the comments below!

Student journalist at Temple Univerisity with a love for health, humanity and story-telling. Check out my bylines on Philly.com, College Fashionista and The Temple News.