Style > Beauty

My Winter Skincare Routine Featuring Korean Skincare 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

How I’ve been able to keep my skin clear and radiant despite this winter’s highly unpredictable weather. 

This winter has been one with extremely up-and-down weather patterns which could potentially wreak havoc on your skin. That, coupled with not being equipped with the right skincare arsenal for the season, is a recipe for disaster. I’ll be walking you through my winter skincare steps, as well as some product suggestions that are sure to keep your skin in check and flourishing.  

I’ve been able to curate a morning and nightly routine that protects my skin barrier and targets my main skin concerns. Starting off with skin stats, I have normal to dry dark skin, and suffer from hyperpigmentation/discoloration. This means that I am prone to developing “dark spots” after a breakout, which is common amongst people of color, and especially darker-skinned people. 

I don’t break out much, and I attribute that mainly to the routine I’ve developed for keeping breakouts at bay, but when I do- it can take a toll on my skin if not properly treated. The first step of my routine targets breakouts- in the morning, I go in with either Cerave’s Hydrating Cream-to-Foam Cleanser, or another Cerave gem- their Foaming Facial Cleanser

These cleansers are geared towards two different skin types, with the hydrating one being for more normal-to-dry skin (my skin type), and the foaming one for more normal-to-oily skin. I alternate between the two morning and night because my skin enjoys both the gentle cleanse of the hydrating cleanser, as well as the deeper cleanse of the foaming cleanser (which is known to keep acne at bay). 

Both cleansers promise to cleanse without disrupting the protective skin barrier.” This is extremely important as a compromised skin barrier would exacerbate all the skin concerns, I previously mentioned like breakouts and discoloration, as well as texture, and more. Both cleansers also consist of three essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid- with the hydrating cleanser containing amino acids and the foaming cleanser containing niacinamide, a form of Vitamin B3 that improves skin hydration. 

I do struggle with texture at times, but I have just the products to assist with this- my serums and creams. The next step of my routine is a serum. I like to go in with either of two options- the Green Derma Mild Cica Serum by Nature Republic, or the Beauty of Joseon Glow Serum with Propolis + Niacinamide. The Mild Cica Serum is great for all skin types and uses 5 key ingredients that set out to soothe sensitive skin, promote hydration, strengthen the skin barrier, repair damaged or irritated skin, and promote vitality.  

The Glow Serum is for those who struggle with large pores and inflamed skin. Both serums are excellent for my sensitive skin folks out there who still want an effective product to promote glow and radiance, but also address skin concerns like acne and texture without the risk of a breakout from the product.  

After my cleanser and serum, in the morning I apply a sunscreen; you read that right- sunscreen in the winter! Skincare experts have said for years that sunscreen should be applied year-round to combat hyperpigmentation as the sun comes out year-round (as we’ve especially seen this winter). Lately, I’ve been opting for the Innisfree Daily UV Defense Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 36. Previously, I was using the classic Black Girl Sunscreen, but wanted to try something new out, and so far, I can say I’ve been enjoying it. 

At night, after I apply my serum of choice, I add the COSRx Snail 92 All in One Cream to my skin. This has been a key player in my routine. If you struggle with texture, dryness, and/or discoloration/uneven skin tone, this is the product for you as it promises to address all those skincare concerns. Its “slimy” consistency did take some getting used to, but I quickly saw results and it has since made me a believer. 

After serums and the Snail Cream, I double up on creams by adding the Nature Republic Cica Ceramide Cream, which is a thick cream from the same line as the cica serum (which I discovered at Nature Republic Union Square, New York with a friend). This product promises to strengthen the skin’s barrier and boost moisture retention. It is formulated uniquely to aid sensitive skin. I finish things off with the Cerave Eye Repair Cream to provide hydration and protection underneath the eyes. 

As a girl who is super passionate about her skincare, discovering these products over the past couple months has aided in me finally achieving the balanced, glowing, and hydrated skin I’ve always wanted. Finding out the way to use these products in order to provide the maximum benefits of my routine has also helped me achieve my ideal results. I’m happy with my routine but seeing as I have my eye on a few skincare gurus’ holy grails, I’ll see you soon to discuss an updated skincare routine! 

Hi! I'm Natalia Opoku, a 4th-year student at Temple University. I'm a Media Studies and Production Major with a Film minor. I have a passion for all things fashion, beauty, music, and film/ entertainment! I'm so happy to be a part of the Her Campus family and I'm looking forward to writing pieces for the magazine!