This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

My friends call me a “fake vegan” because I’m allergic to eggs, dairy, fish/shellfish, mustard (yep, mustard), and I don’t eat pork products. This makes eating out a little difficult sometimes, but fear not, there are some very select places where I can enjoy my food without worry (okay, but let’s be real, I always worry). Nevertheless, here are my Top 9 allergy-friendly restaurants (based on personal experiences, of course.) Note: please do not eat any place that YOU do not feel comfortable with. 

Blackbird Pizzeria

Currently located on 614 N Second Street in Philadelphia, Blackbird had some of the best vegan pizza, drinks and desserts. While I haven’t experienced their (in-person) food for a while, I have found a way to bring Blackbird Pizza home with me by getting their frozen pizza products that are oven ready! 

Jules Thin Crust Pizza

Yes, more pizza. Jules Thin Crust Pizza is not a vegan pizza place, however, they do offer vegan cheeses and crusts! I haven’t been to the restaurant since the pandemic began, but my usual order is a medium or large pizza with sauce, vegan cheese, red onions, and green peppers. 

Chipotle

It has been officially over a year since I have had Chipotle and I am sad about it… but I guess that will make the reuniting part all that special! I know that you are on the edge of your seat waiting to hear what my non-dairy order is, so here it is: a bowl with white rice, steak, veggies, pinto beans and mild salsa.

Vedge

I have only been to Vedge (located in Philadelphia) once; but it is so, so good. A few years later and I still can’t get the taste of the fire-roasted potatoes off my mind.

Zoë’s Kitchen

Zoë’s Kitchen is a favorite of mine! While I can’t have everything on their menu, I really enjoy eating their potato salad and fruit salad and sitting in the booths (surprisingly very comfy). 

Heart Beet Kitchen — Ocean City

Sometimes, eating down the shore with food allergies can be tricky, but Heart Beet makes things a little easier! They have great sandwiches and drinks and while you’re eating you can smell the salty air and hear the excitement of the nearby amusement park.

Vegan Treats

Vegan Treats is my absolute favorite place to get vegan desserts! They pretty much have anything you are looking for from cakes to cookies to soft serve.. 10/10 recommend you to try as much as you can!

Sprig and Vine 

Sprig and Vine holds a special place in my heart! It was one of the first restaurants I was able to actually eat and enjoy (also I had my very first cup of coffee there!) Everything on the menu is good, but some of my favorites are the chocolate chip pancakes or the falafel wrap (can you sense a pattern that I really like falafel?)

The next time someone says “wow you’re allergic to so much, what can you even eat?” I am just going to show them this list–a list that is indeed making me very, very hungry. 

Fallon is a sophomore journalism major and political science minor at Temple University. She is the Graphic Designer for Her Campus at Temple and the News Editor of The Temple News. She enjoys writing about politics, mental health and gender, eating vegan food, color-coding everything and creating digital art. Follow her on Twitter @fallonroth_.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!