This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I know there are a lot of negative stereotypes that surround sororities and fraternities that we have seen in movies like Animal House and The House Bunny and although some of them may, unfortunately, be true, I can proudly share that I didn’t have a negative experience with joining my sorority. Here are some of the benefits that mine has given me. 

Social and Professional Networking 

Going through the process of joining my sorority, I met, and continue, to meet great women within the organization. Utilizing being a part of a sisterhood is a great way to build deep connections with others and meet a diverse group of people. Interacting with active alumni can also help you network if you are looking for advice and a job after college. 

Campus and Community Involvement 

With being a part of Greek life, you are actively involved in philanthropy and other charitable causes. With that, you need to partake in events on and outside of campus to help raise money for your philanthropy. Joining a sorority helped me get more involved within my community and the feeling of giving back is like no other. 

Academics 

Sororities will require you to maintain a minimum GPA requirement in order to stay involved in the sorority. This helps you to focus on your academics so you can do well in your classes. My sorority frequently hosts study sessions with all the sisters to help us obtain our required study hours and provide a more fun alternative to studying as well. 

Leadership 

In order to even have Greek life in general, you need leaders to help make everything run smoothly. There are always a lot of leadership positions that one can take on within their sorority. This is great to put on a resume because you are able to develop your leadership skills and learn how to run a team of people or even the whole chapter. You are actively involved in deciding what is best for the whole chapter and encouraging everyone to reach their fullest potential. 

Something I want you all to take away from this is you should always try to step out of your comfort zone. I personally used to have a lot of social anxiety, so talking to people and getting involved made me miss out on a lot of opportunities. Fortunately, it is never too late to get involved and meet great people along the way. I am grateful I decided to go with my gut and join a sorority because it has changed my life for the better and pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and continue my growth as a person. 

Ilana Martin

Temple '24

Hey! I'm Ilana Martin, a senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University, and I've been diving into the world of fashion and beauty as the Staff Writer for Her Campus Temple. Blending my academic pursuits with my passion for style, I've found a unique voice in celebrating diversity, self-love, and authenticity. From dissecting media representations to covering campus fashion events, each article aims to inspire confidence and challenge conventional norms. As I approach graduation, I'm grateful for the opportunity to leave a mark on Temple's community and the Her Campus chapter, redefining beauty standards and embracing individuality—one article at a time. Cheers to the next chapter! Instagram: @ilanamartinn