Life > Experiences

My Experience with Imposter Syndrome On a College Campus 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Living some of the most fundamental years of your life on a college campus can feel like the complete and utter opposite of reality. The sheer doubt I see many college students put on themselves is something I have recently come to identify with. 

I’ve been living with imposter syndrome for as long as I can remember. Imposter Syndrome is what I like to call an epidemic- especially on a college campus.  

I look in the mirror and wonder why I feel like the poster child for an imposter. I question every day if what I’m doing is enough, and I’m always wondering what more I could be doing. The girl in the mirror is a figment of my imagination. She’s as fake as it gets. But what about the girl who is the President of her very own club? What about the girl who writes articles she’s beyond proud of- all with a 4.0 GPA and holding down two jobs? I’d like to meet her because it sounds like she’s doing just fine to me (yes, this girl is me).  

I believe in the motto: “fake it until you make it,” as cliche as that sounds. The strongest people can admit when they have no idea what’s going on, and I’m here to tell you that I have no idea what’s going on. This is something people like to keep a secret, but I am here to be transparent. It’s hard to admit when we don’t know something, but sometimes it can be even harder to admit when we do. I’m afraid to speak on my own behalf about how much I’ve accomplished in my life as a young woman because what if someone is doing more than me?  

Living on a competitive college campus is where my imposter syndrome really started to surface. Not a single breath of air is taken where I don’t run into someone who is on the same path of success as me. Everyone is doing the same and if you’re not a part of this collective “everyone,” then something tells me you should be. This everyone is doing the most. Every opportunity, every chance of success is being taken advantage of- and who am I to ever stop myself from doing the same? I’m not here to overwhelm you, but I’m here to tell you that your imposter syndrome is not real if you are taking advantage of the opportunities your college has to offer. I have been trying to shake this feeling of unworthiness for some time now. It’s an increasingly difficult concept to overcome when you are dropped into an unfamiliar world.  

One thing I’ve learned from this disease called imposter syndrome is that you can’t overcome it alone. Surrounding myself with a supportive mindset and friends who devote their time to hyping me up and making sure I believe in the things I’m doing has been the best cure I’ve ever received. Stepping foot on a campus where you know nobody and having to make a whole new set of friends is a challenge in itself. But being as lucky as I am to have friends that not only push me to be my best, but push myself into celebrating all the great things I’ve done is even better.  

Another thing that has helped me heal greatly from this epidemic is seeing the results of what I am doing. Instead of focusing on what I’m not doing, the only thing I should be focusing on is what I am actively achieving. The comparative nature created in college is spilling out of the seams in every person I meet, but I have chosen to see what is tangible, not what isn’t. Even the smallest accomplishments should not be overlooked; life is so incredibly difficult that we should be applauding ourselves even for the little things. Those little things always add up.  

Coming out of this toxic mindset and replacing it with a much healthier one has proven to myself that I deserve all the good things that have come to me. This isn’t just luck. It’s my insane ability to be amazing at everything. I’m just kidding (but this is me faking it until I make it so let’s just go with it). Doubting all the hard work I have thus put into my college career will get me nowhere. It only holds me back from trying even harder.  

Imposter syndrome is a fraud in itself and I am here to debunk this myth that has been conjuring up a life of its own in your head- and my own. Imposter syndrome deserves no place in your life. The epidemic of it can officially be brought to an end once you realize that nobody else really has any idea what is going on and that everything you are doing is indeed enough. The greatest things can never be accomplished in just one day or sometimes even one year. So on that note, I hope we can say our goodbyes and lay to rest the imposter syndrome college students have been living with. You will not be dearly missed.  

Ciera Rybak

Temple '25

Hi, I'm Ciera! I'm a Junior at Temple studying Advertising and Communication Studies. I love to write all things opinion, absolutely love sushi (especially salmon rolls), and love spending time with my friends. I also adore cats and am always looking for new song recs. I am quite literally a nobody without my cat tote bag and my frequently tangled earbuds because I did in fact lose my airpods...