This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s my favorite time of the year and I’ve been waiting all summer for it! The leaves are changing, the winds are getting chillier, and the movies are getting spookier. October has finally come and that means it’s scary movie time for the rest of the month! So, in honor of spooky season, I wanted to share my definitive Halloween movie watchlist.

Disney Channel classics

I never complete the month of October without watching at least one of these movies twice. Halloweentown, Twitches, and Hocus Pocus are some of my all-time favorite movies to watch this time of year. It honestly wouldn’t be Halloween without them.

Coraline

I absolutely love this creepy little movie. I remember when I first saw it on a field trip and I haven’t been over it since. Coraline is a movie you can watch year round, but it fits the best around Halloween. Oh, and make sure to be on the lookout for creepy dolls and tiny doors.

Halloween

I’m not the biggest horror movie fan, but there’s something about slasher movies that just hit differently. The Halloween series is a classic when it comes to movie marathons and I try to catch it every time it comes on. The soundtrack is amazing and brings out that Halloween feeling each time. I can’t wait for the next movie, Halloween Kills, to come out next year for more Michael Myers goodness. 

Carrie (1976)

Out of all the Steven King adaptations, this is the best one hands down. Carrie is one of those movies where it’s not necessarily scary in the way you’d think. It brings out a strange psychological horror theme that makes you wonder what if I got weird super powers because of puberty? It also happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

The Craft

This is one of my favorite 90s movies. It follows a girl named Sarah and her discovery of her newfound powers as a witch and joining of a coven of witches at her new school. It’s a classic witchy movie with an amazing soundtrack and style. The Craft also has a remake/sequel set to come out later this month, but I highly recommend watching the original before it comes out. 

Jennifer’s Body

This movie deserves an apology. Jennifer’s Body is a cult classic horror movie from 2009 that is now having its second life due to its sudden spike in popularity. Not only is it funny with quippy dialog written by Academy Award winner Diablo Cody, but the movie also has some really creepy scenes that ties it all together.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to watch a horror movie about complex female friendships and eating boys?

Tim Burton Classics

It’s hard for me to pick a single Tim Burton film to make the list so why not put them all? From Corpse Bride to Edward Scissorhands, these are definitely Halloween essentials. Oh, and we can’t forget how Nightmare Before Christmas is the best transition out of spooky season into Christmas. 

Rocky Horror Picture Show

And last but certainly not least is one of the most fun movie musicals I’ve seen. Rocky Horror is an entirely unique experience that will leave you wanting more. It’s not entirely a horror movie, but it is very spooky. I won’t spoil it so you’re just going to have to jump on the time warp alone and enjoy the ride. 

Halloween is honestly one of my favorite holidays throughout the entirety of the year. There’s something about a scary movie in October that just seems to fit better than any other time of the year. Even though Halloween is going to be indoors this year, you can still enjoy those scary frights on your couch.    

Hellooo! I'm Sydnee a senior at Temple University studying advertising. I watch way too much t.v. and eat tons of pizza. When I'm not sitting in my room (which is often) you can catch me at Jamba Juice laughing at some random meme I found on Pinterest.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!