food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Movie Review: “Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Spoilers ahead!

Four years ago, a little movie about a bunch of terrible people teaming up to save the world came out, titled “Suicide Squad.” Unfortunately, it didn’t do too well in the box office. Despite its initial flop, the film inspired a need for a more well-liked DC villain. After a couple of years fighting for the character to shine in her own movie, Margot Robbie got to bring Harley Quinn to the big screen again in “Birds of Prey: And the Fantablous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.” So, does the film live up to the hype? 

Short answer… Hell yeah!

“Birds of Prey” follows the story of Harley Quinn dealing with her break up with the Joker, which is portrayed very realistically. She deals with the pain of losing someone so close to her, someone who many people think that she needs to rely on in order to stay sane, in the most explosive and colorful way (by literally blowing up the chemical plant where their love began). And ever since their breakup, Harley’s got a big target on her back and every mercenary in Gotham wants a cut of the money. When a pickpocket (Cassandra Cain) steals a diamond holding the secret to a huge fortune, Harley assembles an unlikely team in order to save the girl while getting her own life together. 

This movie is a mix of two things: a Birds of Prey origin story and a Harley Quinn movie. This is the first time that we meet the Birds of Prey: Huntress, Black Canary and Renee Montoya; and as an original story, it could have been better. However, the movie as a whole is a fast-paced girl power movie that hits all the right bases. How Harley deals with her breakup is very realistic for someone who had been reliant on the Joker’s abuse for so long. Harley’s starting to realize her worth, slowly but surely (sequel anyone?). This movie was an event — and all the colors and the soundtrack made the experience ten times better.

“Birds of Prey” was amazing, and no other movie has made me want to eat an egg sandwich and rob a grocery store more. It’s a great movie for girls’ night, and I cannot wait to see it again and again…and again.     

Hellooo! I'm Sydnee a senior at Temple University studying advertising. I watch way too much t.v. and eat tons of pizza. When I'm not sitting in my room (which is often) you can catch me at Jamba Juice laughing at some random meme I found on Pinterest.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.