Morrissey’s Still Got It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The Smiths may have seen their heyday in the mid ‘80s, but the band’s lead singer still has the stage presence that contributed to their widespread success.

Last night, Morrissey performed a sold out show at Tower Theater in Upper Darby, an old-fashioned venue complete with high ceilings, marvelous archways, and intricate designs etched along the walls.

The audience was a mixture of old and young people alike, which wasn’t surprising due to Morrissey’s strong influence on alternative music.

When Morrissey appeared onstage, it was an unreal experience. This is a man who I have heard so much about and whose songs have inspired me to write, but seeing him in real life was different.

His voice was as crisp and clear as ever, and almost identical to how it sounds on record.

In addition to being just a musician and a performer, Morrissey is a political and social activist.  He is a man who has never shied away from expressing his opinion, no matter how controversial they may be.

As an open supporter of PETA, Moz has openly voiced his disdain for the meat industry. While he performed The Smith’s “Meat is Murder”, graphic videos of animals being beaten, abused, and killed in slaughterhouses flashed across the screen.

He also commented on American police brutality with his chilling presentation of “Ganglord”, featuring disturbing footage of officers brutally and relentless hitting and dragging people across the ground. He sang, “They say, ‘To protect and to serve’, but what they really mean to say is, ‘Get back to the ghetto’.”

Multimedia played a huge role in Morrissey’s performance, and he used the projector as a primary tool to convey his viewpoints.

On a lighter note, yes, he did perform “How Soon is Now?” and the crowd couldn’t contain their enthusiasm. Also, he ended his final song by removing his shirt, and I can assure you that he’s definitely still got it.

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.