Moroccan State TV Tutorial Stirs Up Controversy in the Makeup World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On Friday, Nov. 25 we celebrated the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women—a long title, but an important one. The day has been coined by the United Nations General Assembly to raise awareness against the worldwide domestic brutality crises that lingers in our present day.

As America is fairly familiarized with raising this type of nationwide awareness—many cultures are still unadapted.

Recently, news outlets freaked out when a Moroccan TV show aired an abuse-related makeup tutorial on how to cover bruises and it flooded the media, especially for women. “Sabahiyat,” the Moroccan state-owned 2M TV show offers segments on health, lifestyle, fashion, beauty and more.  On Nov. 23, only two days before the international day of awareness, the station aired a tutorial of a woman covering up another woman’s make-up of fake bruises.

Various news outlets quickly conveyed the disappointment of this segment’s attempt to “camouflage the traces of violence against women.”

The Washington Post reported, “The smiling woman on the daily Moroccan television show spoke to viewers as if it were any other makeup tutorial, comparing brands and hues of face foundation and demonstrating how to apply it.”

The host said in Arabic, “After the beating, this part is still sensitive, so don’t press,” while concealing the fake bruises. “Make sure to use loose powder to fix the makeup so if you have to work throughout the day, the bruises don’t show,” she added.

As outrage erupted on social media, the channel apologized but an online petition surfaced with more than 1,740 supporters demanding the Moroccan authority to regulate the television program.

The channel administrators wrote on 2M’s Facebook page, “The management believe that this section is completely inappropriate and was an editorial error of judgment in view of the sensitivity and the gravity of the subject of violence against women.”

What does this tell us about today’s outlook on domestic violence? Even though it has progressed from the days of oppression, we can see how it has not yet fully evolved. Condoning physical abuse in a way that normalizes violence in a relationship is one of the main problems with eliminating it from society. This is why women are outraged at the thought of covering bruises as a way to hide or accept domestic violence.

On the other hand, a Moroccan news site issued a statement that addresses the other side of this argument. Yabiladi host Lilia Mouline defended the show’s segment.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Mouline said “the show did not intend to endorse domestic violence with the segment and that it was meant to showcase a temporary fix while justice is done.”

She believes the message was to help women prevent humiliation, not condone the actions. She said women should not be “locked up” and unable to leave the house, but instead have a temporary fix while seeking justice.

Whether or not the channel had good intentions with the makeup tutorial, it serves as a reminder to continue the fight against both mental and physical domestic abuse as it is still an international crisis.

Global estimates published by the World Health Organization indicate about 1 in 3 women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual violence in their lifetime from both domestic partners and non-partners. Let’s continue the fight against it.

We should be using makeup to enhance our beautiful features, never to hide them.

*For 24/7 confidential help, call The National Domestic Violence Hotline. Help save a life. 

Alexa Zizzi

Temple '17

Alexa currently serves as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus Media. She is a journalism graduate from Temple University with a love for writing and passion for adventure. She enjoys dancing, traveling, and laying on the beach rather than taking long walks on it. Her work has been published in Her Campus Temple, Philadelphia Magazine, The Temple News, Fourteenth Street Magazine, Philadelphia Neighborhoods and The Odyssey Online.
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.