Style > Beauty

Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Who has the Trendiest Nails of them All?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

2023 is around the corner, but before this year comes to an end, let’s take a look at the top ten most trendy nail designs of 2022!Β Β 

2022 is the year nail art exploded into the limelight. Nail techs took their skills to the next level and truly raised the bar to all-new highs in the nail world. So many extravagant, unique, outside-the-box nail trends popped up in 2022, and I’m here to rehash all the goodies! Pay close attention, because you may have even jumped on one of these trends.Β Β Β 

1.) Negative space patterns:

First up, the negative space nail design. This has been a classic go-to nail design that has been favored quite a bit in 2022. This nail art is fabulous since negative space nails have ample opportunity to play around with colors and designs, making this trend perfect for any age group as well.Β Β 

2.) Animal prints:

2022 is bringing out everyone’s wild side! From cow print to zebra, even cheetah print has all been the hot commodity in the nail world recently! Playing around with this trend could bring out the fierce and vivacious side of you that you never knew you had! And maybe the perfect pairing to your Halloween custom as well!Β Β 

3.) Textured nails:

Textured nails are a more recent trend that people have been dabbling with. This cute and playful seashell set shown really portrays how fun and realistically textured nails can look! This trend is pushing the limits in the nail world, making this design truly iconic.Β Β 

4.) Wavy nail art:

Wavy nail art has been around for a few years now but still is a public favorite and does not look like it’s going anywhere anytime soon! This design is fun and youthful yet charming and eye-catching all while bringing out your inner hippie!Β  If you haven’t tried the wavy nail trend, I suggest you make a nail appointment pronto!Β Β 

5.) Abstract nail art:

Abstract nails were the hot new thing in 2022! Every celebrity from Megan Thee Stallion to Lizzo, and even Kylie Jenner jumped on the abstract nail trend. I mean, can you blame them?! This nail design resembles the 70s vibe and has lots of room for creativity. The best part about this design is how much room you have for mistake-making since there are no straight-cut lines!Β 

6.) Pinkillicous nails:

With the Y2K trend coming back, the all-pinked-out nail trend came with it! This set brings me right back to the early 2000s and I am totally here for it! Get nostalgic with this nail set or channel your inner baddie. Regardless, this nail design is perfect for anyone who simply loves pink (duh) or is trying to channel their inner Paris Hilton!Β Β 

7.) Favorite TV show characters:

When I mentioned nail techs were stepping it up this year, I wasn’t joking! Now more than ever are we seeing favorite TV show characters on nails and it’s just- Wow. Characters on TV shows like Stranger Things, Euphoria, and even Squid Game have been turned into nail art! The bar has been set, truly incredible work.Β Β 

8.) Swirly french tip:

This fun and playful trend have been seen a lot in the public eye this year! Combining the classic french with an abstract design is absolutely genius and gives a psychedelic feel to the traditional design. Swirly french will most likely be seen in the next year as well!Β 

9.) Different color on each hand:

This trend is ideal for a person who cannot make up their mind but still wants to keep their manicure looking sleek and chic! The one color on each hand makes your manicure look charming and pleasing to the eye. And a plus, you can wear twice as many colors throughout the year by sticking to this method!Β 

10.) Marble nails & gold flakes:

The marble nails with gold flakes are a double trend! Not only have marble nails been recently favored in the public eye but so have gold flakes! Marble nail design is timeless and can look fabulous on any age group while the gold flakes really elevate your manicure from cute and stylish to Pinterest-worthy. Hopping on this trend will make you feel like a million bucks!Β Β 

It’s safe to say you can tell a lot about a person just by looking at their nails. So decide what story you want to tell about yourself and get to the nail salon! Remember, the beauty of nail art is you can experiment with your style and fashion taste without making too much of a commitment, truly the best of both worlds. Maybe take inspiration from all ten designs and you could be the one to start the next hottest nail trend!Β Β 

*DISCLAIMER*Β Β 

Any and all photographs uploaded to this article was work done by Robin and Nicky and taken from their Instagram page @nailsbyrobinandnicky.Β Β 

The place for all of my creative writing pieces in the fashion/beauty and arts/entertainment world. Thanks for stopping by <3