Meet Our Bachelors: The Owl Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This semester, Her Campus Temple is teaming up with Alpha Xi Delta to host a date auction. We’ve done it in the past, but this year is different. Temple hottest bachelors, including fraternity men, athletes and Owl Team leaders are up for a date with the highest bidders. Until the auction starts, we’re going to be giving you brief profiles on each of the contestants, so you can get to know more about them.

All of the money raised will go directly to Autism Speaks, Alpha Xi Delta’s national philanthropy!

Name: Tommy Sladek (far left)

Involvement: Owl Team Leader

Why should someone bid on you in the Win-a-Date Auction? My date will be comfortable very quickly because I will most likely trip or do something embarrassing early on in the date because that’s kind of how my life works. I like to make the most of every moment and man, oh man, are we going to have a fun time!

Describe your ideal dream date if you HAD to stay on Temple’s campus: A three-course dinner date on the top floor of Morgan Hall. Joining us near by, but not too far, is the Temple accapella group the Broad Street Line, which will be harmonizing perfectly to songs like “Antidote” by Travis Scott. Charlie Puth will arrive soon after that to make our Baker Dave dessert unforgettable.What was the worst date you have ever been on? In 8th grade I was on a date with my boo and we decided to go see “Yes Man”, mistake number one. Before the movie started I went and got a large bucket of popcorn and an extra large soda thinking it would be a nice surprise for us as something to share (mistake number 2). Turns out she hated cherry Coke and she only ate about 10 kernels of the popcorn before telling me I could finish it. She held my hand during the entire movie which happened to be an absolute death grip. I swear it was so tight my fingers were turning blue. To take my mind off the pain, I was unconsciously devouring the family size bucket of popcorn and washing it down with enough soda to send a classroom of second graders bouncing off the walls. Anyways, the movie finally finishes up and I am relived to find feeling in my hand once again as we walked out to the lobby to say goodbye and receive the highly anticipated kiss and hug from my 5-week girlfriend. As I’m riding in the backseat of my buddy’s pissed off dad’s car (who clearly was not happy to find out he received the short straw and was on pick up duty) the pain in my stomach starts becoming so incredibly painful. I mean you would have thought I received 10 roundhouse kicks from Ronda Rousey with the way I was acting. Meanwhile, Big Tom in the front seat is freaking out and starts absolutely flooring it to my neighborhood. He miraculously makes it to my house where I fling open the car door and hurl out everything I had consume during that terrible Jim Carrey movie all over my driveway. And that my friends, is a 100% true, terribly hilarious date experience. 

***

Name: Jimmy Rudolph (middle)

Age: 21

Major: Kinesiology

Year: Senior

Student organization/position: Owl Team Leader ‘14

Why should someone bid on you in the Win-a-Date Auction? I strive to be engaged. No, I’m not referring to marriage. I say engaged in the sense that I want to be connected and fully invest my attention in the girl I take on a date. Not frequently checking my phone, rambling on about myself, or asking boring introductory questions. I want her to know I am genuinely interested in what makes her laugh, angry, sad, happy, and really anything else she feels comfortable expressing to me. I am living proof that chivalry isn’t dead. I’m a romantic on the low and I enjoy being spontaneous/adventurous. My mission is to get the most fun out of any situation and to discover what makes her smile. Boring is the last word she would use to describe our time together if she chooses me.

Describe your ideal dream date if you HAD to stay on Temple’s campus:  My dream date on our beautiful campus would begin at Saxby’s on a sunny, warm, spring afternoon. We would order smoothies (or coffee if she preferred) and make our way over to Beury Beach. On the short walk over we would pause and feed a pack of adorable squirrels. Once we’ve secured a spot on the beach and enjoyed our beverages I would ask her to tell me about five crazy/funny/happy memories that she has experienced somewhere on campus. After hearing about hers I would proceed to tell her about five of my own, and then we would go to the location of our TU memories. After walking around I would inform her of a surprise I had in store. Miraculously I had acquired the building manager’s keys for Morgan Hall. We would hop on the elevator and go to the 24th floor to gain roof access. Once on the roof there would be a blanket and a picnic basket with a variety of delicious food. Lastly, it is time to take in the breath taking Philadelphia skyline on a cloudless day.

What was the worst date you have ever been on?  My friend set me up with a girl who he works with at his new job at a mini golf & Arcade establishment. I decided to go with a casual dinner. The date literally started with her telling me that I wasn’t the ugliest guy she has gone out with. She followed that up with a “just messing around!”.. Hilarious. We sit down at the restaurant and she proceeds to tell me about how her ex-boyfriend just got out of jail and that he was locked up for “beating faces at a bar”. Even though it was unlikely, I began sweating in fear of an encounter with him. She continued to talk about herself and how she wants a more stable relationship (this was our first and only date). I cut the date short after we ate the appetizers and told her I was going to pick up the tab. She informed me that I was a gentleman for paying and that she might sleep with me later. I respectfully declined.  I was disgusted that someone would be so promiscuous after receiving a free meal at a T.G.I. Fridays. I took her home and never spoke to her again.

***

Name: Chris McFadden (far right)
Age: 20
Major: Sport and Recreation Management
Year: Junior

Why should someone bid on you in the Win-a-Date Auction? I’m one of the most easy going and fun loving people there is.  I’ve also lived in Philly my entire life and would love to show a lady around the city and some great spots that aren’t known about by the average Temple student. I’m a great conversationalist, I’m always up for whatever, and I make the most out of every situation.  Even if we don’t have a romantic spark I can guarantee we will have a great time with each other.

Describe your ideal dream date if you HAD to stay on Temple’s campus: As a warm and sunny spring day nears sunset I show up at her door in a suit with flowers (either roses or her favorite kind if I know what she likes). She opens the door beaming with excitement and looks ready to make any man fall in love.  We go for a casual stroll through Temple’s campus chatting about anything and everything.  Despite the notorious campus vapers and daredevils riding hoverboards nothing can ruin our day as we are wrapped in a moment of bliss focused on one another.  As we walk by the most prized establishment on campus, Richie’s, he greets us with a cheerful “Yo Big Daddy! Hey Sweetheart!” and a free drink of our choosing. The lovely lady accompanying me begins to get confused as to why he didn’t offer us food. I tell her not to fear and we continue on our journey. I lead to her to secret garden behind Maxi’s where a candlelit table awaits us. Off to the side, a small choir of incredibly talented students from Boyer serenade us with their angelic voices. There is also a grill set up which I use to grill us up a dinner of her choosing (steak, chicken, pork, burgers, hot dogs, all of the above [the more food she chooses the more I fall in love because eating is one of my favorite activities]). We then proceed to eat our romantic dinner as the sun sets and the cool night begins. Once dinner is finished Insomnia Cookies would be delivered for us to enjoy under the starry night until we both decide the best date of our young lives has come to an end. 

What was the worst date you have ever been on? I can’t say I’ve been on a terrible date.  Not pulling the “I’m so great and don’t go on bad dates” card but I have a small sample size of dates to choose from as I haven’t been on many :( and also because I always have a good time doing anything I do.

Join us February 24th at 8 p.m.

HGSC Room 200C for

Alpha Xi Delta and Her Campus Temple’s

Win-A-Date Bachelor Auction!

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.