A Man Groped Taylor Swift’s Wax Figure and It’s Not Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Back in 2013, Taylor Swift held a meet and greet for her Red Tour in Denver, Colorado. In one particular photo, a man named David Mueller was seen grabbing Swift’s buttocks. Swift claimed Mueller sexually assaulted her. Soon afterwards, Mueller was fired from his job as a radio host and thought Swift had something to do with it. He later sued the singer for ruining his career, and in response, Swift sued back for one dollar. This past August, the case was sent to court. The judge sided with Swift, and Mueller was forced to pay her one dollar.

According to CNN, Swift made the following statement regarding her case:

“I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society, and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself like this. My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard. Therefore, I will be making donations in the near future to multiple organizations that help sexual assault victims defend themselves.”

Fun Fact: You can see the one-dollar bill Swift was rewarded for winning her case when she was seen lying in a bath full of diamond and jewels in her music video for “Look What You Made Me Do.”

A tweet has gone viral revealing that a man named Danny Hauser took a picture of himself grabbing Taylor Swift’s wax figure’s rear end and posted it to Instagram with a small caption under saying: “Wonder if #taylorswift is going to sue me for $1 ! #funtimes #waxmuseum #butt #round #lookwhatyoumademedo.” A fan of Swift saw the photo and took it to Twitter. @txysreputation, a twitter user, posted the screenshot on her account with the quote: “men are trash.” The tweet has now over 18 thousand retweets and 37 thousand likes. Throughout the comments underneath the tweet, some people agreed to the statement and others disagreed. Hauser has since either deleted or changed his Instagram name. When you search his original username, there are no results found.

This isn’t the first time that someone inappropriately touched a wax figure. At Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada, people were taking not-so-nice pictures with the Nicki Minaj wax figure. Back in 2015, tourists would take pictures of themselves with the wax figure looking like they were performing sexual acts on Minaj’s wax figure. According to E! Online, the “iconic” figure had bodyguards to stop potential visitors from overstepping the boundaries.

Sexual assault is a serious issue and should never be taken as a joke. By seeing pictures of people violating these wax figures, people may think that it’s okay to act this way. When visiting a wax figure museum, the appropriate thing to do is take a selfie with a figure, not perform sexual acts with it. Everyone should act respectfully when it comes to interacting with others, especially women. Many people do such controversial things just to get retweets and likes. If you’re on any sort of social media, especially Twitter, you have probably seen a few examples. People say that it’s just a wax figure and it’s not a real person, but it still looks disrespectful and shouldn’t be done.

Ashley is a senior journalism major at Temple University. She loves music, concerts, and celebrities. She loves to write all things fashion, lifestyle, and pop culture! Instagram: ashleygale23
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus