¡Maldita! Can’t We Just Live?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Currently in the US, Hispanics are the second-largest ethnic group (behind whites), as well as the second-fastest growing. However, we still lack proper representation and acknowledgement in politics, US history, entertainment, administration, etc. The only faction America allows us to be (over)represented in is the prison system, but that’s a whole other spiel for a different day.

Hispanics are frequently disregarded, and disrespected, by much of the non-Hispanic population, often not even considered in discussions of racial relations (even with us being the second largest ethnic group, how odd).

We have a President, the face of this country, degrading Hispanics, particularly Latinx, any chance he can. “Drug dealers, rapists, killers, criminals,” allowing such limited aid to be given to Puerto Rico, trying to phase out the DACA program, fighting with the mayor of San Juan who is begging for help, berating Latino politicians and reporters, and of course, “Build that wall.”

When the face of your country consistently debases and belittles the Latinx community, it sets a precedent that this is acceptable behavior. All of the white people yelling “Build that wall,” “keep those immigrants out,” “They’re probably in MS-13,” “they’re stealing our jobs and money!” Consistently using the term “immigrants” and “illegals” during political discussions, with an obvious derogatory nature, typically aimed at Latinx. However, even through all of that, you guys still love us! I mean you have to love us, why else would you steal our music, food, art, entertainment and language?

The dynamic between the American public and Latinx culture is so interesting. Because you love everything about us, yet you hate us as people, as humans sharing this land with you.

You love our food. All the corny shirts, purses, phone cases, social media posts about how much you love “tacos,” stealing and “rebranding” elotes, empanadas, arroz con pollo, burritos, arepas, arroz con gandules, paella, flan, the list goes on and on. You go to Latino restaurants and think it’s a whole fun experience, order from your waiter in terrible broken Spanish while laughing, scream for tequila shots, and prance around in a sombrero.

You love our clothes. You take our huaraches, pendletons, serapes, ponchos, peasant shirts, etc. You simply rename the styles and sell them for high prices at stores like Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Anthropology, etc.  

You love our music. Prominent non-Hispanic American artists will find a Latin song, slap their verse on it, and produce a remix that tops the charts. Artists will take beats and flows from Latin artists and use it on their next albums, saying they’re trying something “new.” Artists will speak poor Spanish on a track, and the crowd loves it. But no one wants to listen and support the true Latinx artists creating the real music that represents their culture.

You love our dances. You do the salsa, merengue, bachata, tango, flamenco, bolero, etc. You even create your own dance centers to teach these dances to other non-Hispanic people so that can do them at their parties and impress their friends.

You love our art. Gaudi, Picasso, Dali, Goya, El Greco, Diego Velázquez, Joan Miró, Frida Kahlo, etc. You take pictures of it, it hangs on your walls, you wear it in on your clothes, you make imitations. So interesting?

And of course, you love our language. You take it in middle-high school, say stupid phrases to your friends, try to speak to the next Hispanic you see on the street, go abroad and make a mockery of it. You use our colloquialisms and phrases for corny jokes. Gringo, ese, que lo que, dale, ya wey, dame una cerveza, etc. But of course, you love to sexualize the language, and incorrectly use the terms “mami” and “papi.” “Ooooo mami you so fine.” “I can be your papi.” “Yo mami, how you doing tonight?” “Can you call me papi during sex?” You’ve taken a common term of endearment- one used to address pretty much anyone- and made it into something sexual for your own benefit.

Latinx culture is sexualized and fetishized constantly by non-Hispanics in the US. There is this stereotype that Latina women are brown, have a big butt, trim waist, dark features, short, and are dumb. Latino men are supposed to be these suave, caramel-colored players, with built bodies, dark hair and eyes—the “Latin Lover.”

Our harmless colloquialisms turned to sexually-charged slang. Our music turned to some shitty knock-off love song. Weird how our language and music is refurbished for songs that are always about love, romance, sex. Now don’t get me wrong, Latinx are romantic, loving people. However, we are not some hyper-active sexual population where everything in our culture revolves around seduction and love making.

Really the point I’m getting at is the non-Hispanic population only recognizes Hispanics, particularly Latinx, when it provides something beneficial, trendy, or entertaining for them. We are not properly represented in most professional, political, economic settings.

However, you can find our music coming from their speakers, our clothing on their backs, our art on their walls, our food on their tables, our dances being performed, our language coming from their lips. So why? Why can’t you love our people as much as you love our culture? Why can’t you give our people as much recognition, respect and support as you do our music, food, art, dress? Why can’t our people just exist, our language just exist, without being sexualized and stereotyped?  

––Savanna Marino

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus