This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Listen up for some lively lip care tips!

Skin and hair care is all the rage lately, and it seems like you can find tips on how to have radiant skin and shiny hair almost anywhere. Though these are vital aspects of self-care, many people forget a hugely important aspect: lip care. It’s hard to look as put-together as possible if your lips are dry and chapped. Follow along to learn about some lip-alicious tips to keep your lips looking full and healthy. 

HydratingYour Lips 

We’ve all faced the dreaded chapped lip before. It not only dulls our appearance, but it can also be painful and distracting. A general rule of thumb to prevent the chapped calamities is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  

One way you can nourish your lips is by using a good chapstick. One of the best chapsticks on the market is Burt’s Bees, which is elaborated upon in New York Magazine’s article “The 15 Very Best Lip Balms.” Using chapstick regularly can ensure your lips retain that luscious look.  

For those that have extremely dry lips, Aquaphor and Vaseline are more extreme hydrators. I use Aquaphor, and it helps my lips stay full, even in the winter. Both Aquaphor and Vaseline have products that come in smaller, more portable sizes- which is great for hydration on the go.  

In addition to using hydrating products, actually hydrating is extremely important. Drinking an adequate amount of water during the day helps to further prevent nightmarish cracking and dry lips.  

Lip Scrubs  

You’ve heard of body and face scrubs, but did you know they have scrubs for lips too? Lip scrubs help to remove dead skin from your lips, which makes them softer and smoother. However, you shouldn’t use lip scrubs every day-stick to one to three times a week since using scrubs too much can lead to dryness and cracked lip skin. My personal favorite scrub is the Lush Honey Lip Scrub, which is sugar-based, and edible after you use it.  

Lip Masks  

Lip masks have become more widely known through social media, as another way to retain moisture in the lips- making them appear nourished and healthy. There’s a variety that you can purchase, with some being for overnight use and others being for shorter periods of time. A trendy one as of now is the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask, which is made for virtually all skin types. Lip masks are especially good to incorporate during the winter, when lips are more inclined to be dry and chapped. 

Lip care is an often overlooked, yet important part of self-care. By utilizing some of the tips laid out above, it’s possible for you to achieve fuller, more healthy-looking lips, especially in these dry winter months. However, it’s important to note that you don’t need super expensive lip care products to achieve healthy lips. Sometimes, it’s just making sure to pay enough attention to them. Trust me, your lips will thank you later.  

Hey! My name is Ella, and I was born in Omaha, Nebraska. I love to write, paint, draw, and read. I’m a fashion and beauty writer for Her Campus at Temple University!