Life > Experiences

Learning how to cook, from a college student’s perspective 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

After relying on meal swipes and food trucks for the past three semesters, I realized that I missed the comfort of a home cooked meal. 

This semester, I decided to learn how to cook after missing homemade meals. I bought an assortment of different meats, vegetables, fruit, and pasta, and froze them for the upcoming school year.  

The first attempt 

The first meal I made was chicken, pasta, and vegetables. I know this sounds simple, but the satisfaction of making your own meal is unmatched.  

Although I had to take time out of my schedule to prepare and make the food, I enjoy the feeling of knowing what I am putting into my body. As someone with a sensitive stomach, I find that I feel better eating home-cooked food compared to eating out.  

Breakfast and lunch 

In the morning, I try to make oatmeal with fruit or a smoothie. During lunch, I either buy food, eat leftovers, or make a sandwich.  

I recently bought chickpea patties, which taste similar to chicken patties, and I like to hope that they taste good. 

Dinners 

I won’t lie, my meals are extremely simple. I either make meat, usually chicken or salmon, pasta or rice, and some type of vegetable. My favorite vegetable to eat has been sweet potatoes. 

Today, my go-to meal to make is salmon, rice, and kimchi, with spicy mayo sauce. 

After my first success, I started cooking more, and I’ve learned that you don’t need to be a professional to cook great meals. I don’t consider myself a professional, so much so that I previously labeled myself as a “bad cook.”  

My cooking experience has taught me that cooking is a skill that takes practice. Using recipes or tips online definitely makes the job easier; anyone can become an amateur cook as long as you’re able to follow directions.  

If you can, try to cook your own meal, it can be as simple as you want. Make your favorite comfort food, something you’ve been meaning to try, or something you’re really craving.  

Cooking is a viable skill that everyone should have, even if you only know how to cook basic things. By learning how, you can track the ingredients that you are putting in your body, and potentially save money. So, take a chance and cook; you won’t regret it.  

Meghan is a sophomore psychology major at Temple University. She enjoys reading, traveling to new places, and eating mozzarella sticks.