Lady Gaga’s Latest Album is a Gem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On October 21, Lady Gaga released her sixth studio album, “Joanne.” The album is Gaga’s first album that has been labeled “explicit” for language.  Her sound has transformed from being solely pop to having a more rock sound. The album was released digitally as well as physically on CD and LP vinyl. The CD was, in both physical and digital forms, released in standard and deluxe versions. The album is available wherever music is sold.

The songs cover a wide variety of topics with an emphasis on darker aspects of Gaga’s life. Some songs, like “Diamond Heart,” are more lighthearted and discuss love. However, she also explores darker topics. “Million Reasons” discusses a dark end to a relationship. According to Billboard, “Angel Down” is about Trayvon Martin, an unarmed Florida teenager who was shot and killed by George Zimmerman. The title track, “Joanne,” speaks of the death of a family member. There is no definite style that covers each unique song.

While a couple songs resemble some of Gaga’s older material, her sound has developed so much over the years. Her voice sounds better than ever before and her style has grown. She fuses multiple styles into one song on many occasions on this album. Each style is executed well and Gaga’s voice is versatile, able to cover a wide variety of styles. Gaga portrays each song well, connecting intimately with each song she sings. No two songs sound exactly the same thanks to varying content and fusion of styles within and amongst the songs.

The songs do not mention specific details of the stories behind the songs, but listening to this album is like reading Gaga’s diary. Gaga has done interviews with some media outlets where she revealed the meanings and stories behind a song or two, but the rest is left for the listeners to figure out on their own. Her songs are so personal to her, allowing her connect with her song and her audience.  Many listeners can relate something on this album to their lives, whether it was something that happened to them or something that is going on in the world.  Listening to this album is like every woman listening to their personal diaries about their most personal and intimate stories that not even their closest friends know.

This album has something for everybody. From political statements to love songs, old and new fans will delight in this gem of an album. It is not for those who are sensitive to certain subjects, like death and politics. The messages behind the songs are profound and more mature than songs Gaga has created in the past. The album is not necessarily for those who are sensitive to issues of cursing, death and shootings, but the songs may be coded enough so that this will not be an issue. This album is perfect for a relaxing night in or a fun night out with friends and family. Old and new fans alike will appreciate this masterpiece.

Ashley Paskill is a journalism major. She transferred to Temple after receiving her Associate's degree in music from Montgomery County Community College. She hopes to include her loves of music and writing to be a music journalist. Ashley has a music review blog (musicallyreviewed.wordpress.com) and a blog dedicated to tribute bands (tributetribune.wordpress.com). She has also written for Fastweb, a financial aid database. To read more of Ashley's work, visit her portfolio site (ashleypaskill.wordpress.com).
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.