Kesha’s Comeback Tour Made a Stop in Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Kesha has been through a lot this past year, and when she started to release songs off her new album, Rainbow, I was curious to listen.

The 30-year-old singer and songwriter released hit after hit before her album was released, tempting fans with the entire album. Since I loved the songs she had released, my friends and I decided that we had to see her when she came to Philly on October 7th.

This was one of the best decisions we ever made.

Since the concert was located at the Fillmore in Philadelphia, which is primarily general admission, my friends and I decided to get there a little early to get a close spot to the glitter queen herself.

We arrived around 6 p.m. and waited for two hours until the doors opened. When we were finally allowed inside, we hurried to find a good spot on the floor. We were lucky enough to be very close, and even made some friends around us.

The opening act, a band named Black Lips, came on the stage at 9 p.m. Their style of music was rock, but during their set it was clear that the crowd was anxiously awaiting Kesha because they began many “Kesha” chants.

At 10 p.m. the lights went down, and the crowd erupted in cheers. This was the moment everyone was waiting for; Kesha was about to hit the stage.

“Woman” was the iconic opening song, and Kesha came out in a fierce blue and pink suit. The crowd went crazy and sang along to this fun anthem.

After the first song, the singer introduced herself and assured fans that it was going to be a fun night.

Her setlist was a perfect mixture of her past and present songs, and she transitioned into each song with humor that made the crowd scream, cheer, and laugh.

Her stage consisted of the singer herself, her band, and two male dancers that were full of fun and energy.

One of the best moments from the concert was when Kesha brought her mom out on stage to sing “Godzilla” with her. She explained that although she prefers writing all her own songs, she saw that “Godzilla” was written by her mom and fought to get it on the album. Her mother thanked the crowd for being there for her daughter, and said that if it was not for us, she would not be sure if her daughter would still be alive. It was very sweet and emotional to see Kesha on stage with her beautiful mom and to witness this special moment.

Even though her mom’s kind words assured the crowd that Kesha loved her fans, it was also clear when Kesha collected gifts from different fans, and personally thanked them.  

Minus Kesha’s two outfit changes, and fun interactions with the crowd, another iconic moment from the night was when she performed her hit from 2012, “Blow,” and threw glitter on fans while singing the lyrics, “Throw some glitter make it rain.”

Things got a little more serious when Kesha talked about the importance of her song, “Praying,” before she performed it. The emotions she was feeling were very evident during this performance. When she sang, “I’m proud of who I am,” the crowd applauded the singer with cheers for being so open and real. You could clearly see the gratitude and happiness she had on her face when the song was over.

The biggest thing I took away from the concert was that we need to live our lives without apologies. Kesha reiterated this idea throughout the whole show. She stressed that we cannot let negative people or people who do not agree with our beliefs and way of life bring us down.

I left the concert with more than just PCD (post-concert depression), but a newfound sense of happiness. Kesha’s concert was an eye-opening experience. Her fans were so happy to see her and everyone that I met that night was accepting and kind.

I hope Kesha returns to Philly sometime soon so I can witness her talent and authentic passion again. Also, if you ever get the chance to see her, go! She is more than just a singer with tons of hits, she is an inspiration.

Check out the singer’s setlist for the Philly show below!

1. Woman

2. Boogie Feet

3. Learn To Let Go

4. Hymn

5. Let ‘Em Talk

6. Take It Off

7. We R Who We R

8. Spaceship

9. Hunt You Down/Timber

10. Godzilla (along with Kesha’s mom, Pebe Sebert)

11. Your Love Is My Drug

12. Blow

13. Praying

Encore:

1. TiK ToK

2. Bastards

Lisa Cunningham is currently a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. When she is not listening to music, living it up at a concert or hanging with friends, Cunningham loves to write about all things relate to pop culture!
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus