Kendall Jenner Models Feminist Lingerie for La Perla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

La Perla’s latest campaign includes models Kendall Jenner, Isabeli Fontana and Liu Wen as they wear lingerie from the Spring 2017 collection. The concept behind the photoshoot is “the liberation of every woman from the need to suffer for beauty.”

As she poses for photographer Steven Klein, Kendall wears red lace in one photo, and a cream-colored corset in another. Feminist symbols are present, such as a burning bra, corset and shattered glass.

When asked about the feminist imagery, La Perla creative director Julia Haart said, “The shattered glass, for example, speaks to the glass ceiling, a metaphor coined by feminists in reference to barriers in the careers of high-achieving women.”

“My idea is that you can embrace your femininity and it doesn’t have to be only in your undergarments,” She continues, “If you’re wearing a suit, a dress, it should be molded to a female form while still being professional, beautiful, chic, elegant—one does not negate the other,” Haart told E! Online.

In another photo, Kendall is not wearing a bra, instead, she is wearing a buttoned-up suit with nothing underneath. The model is known for going braless often as she stated in a kendallj.com web post that she is “all about freeing the nipple!”

La Perla’s campaign proves to be successful in representing its feminist agenda. The intense colors and hues in the photos draw focus to the models and the iconic feminist symbols. All three women look fierce, and independent, while simultaneously showing their elegance. While lingerie once stood for vulnerability, now symbolizes strength.

My name is Michele Mendez and I am a student at Temple University studying Media Studies and Production. I like to write about all things pop culture, but I especially love covering music. Have a story idea? Contact me: tug15970@temple.edu
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.