Is Justice Served for the Case of Larry Nassar?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Larry Nassar, who once was a USA Gymnastics national team doctor and an osteopathic physician at Michigan State University, will now spend the rest of his life in jail.

On Wednesday, the judge announced that the dishonorable former osteopathic doctor was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison because he sexaully abused more than 150 women and girls for the past two decades. Many girls and women came to court to talk more about the incident and get justice.

Even though, he was sentenced to jail for a long period of time, some people wanted him to get the death penalty because what he did was absolutely wrong and an abomination to the society.

Therefore, they believed this type of punishment could give the girls and women the justice they deserve.

He pleaded guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual conduct in Ingham County in Michigan and he had admitted to using his trusted medical position to assault and molest girls under the guise of medical treatment. He would lie to these girls and tell them it’s part of the medical treatment.

He apologized to the victims in court, after hearing their statements for seven days. He started to feel ‘really bad’ about what he did.

Before, he said his statement out loud. He wrote the letter trying to defend his practice and in the letter he said, he was “manipulated” into pleading guilty, and accused the women of lying, which Judge Rosemarie Aquilina read in court before she made the sentencing decision.

Not only, he’s been charged for sexual abuse, he also was sentenced to 60 years in prison for federal child pornography charges.

After, all the crime and horrible thing he did. Did the punishment fit the crime?

Well, I believe–and how can I say this nicely–hell no! The punishment didn’t fit the crime at all.

Normally, I don’t support the death penalty and I would like it if the government would make the death penalty illegal because it’s like murder, but in legal cases such as Nassar’s, I believe it should be used.

How dare he touched other women and young girls. It’s just so wrong and horrible that I believe both of his hands should get cut off. For one, he shouldn’t be touching a girl without their permission no matter what.

What’s even worse is that he totally abused his power as a doctor. We as people trust doctors to take care of us for our wellbeing. He totally used that as his advantage and did horrible deeds with it. It’s just so wrong that it makes me mad because we trust doctors to follow their medical duties morally and ethically. Not all do this and it makes it really hard to trust people these days.

Why can’t we live in a safe society? Where girls can do anything they want and love, and not have anything bad happen to them. I want to live in a society where I can walk home at night or go to places by myself without feeling scared or paranoid that something bad is going to happen to me.

I get it, some girls are scared walking home at night. It’s normal feeling.

However, is it ok that girls should feel scared going to the doctors, bathroom, or anywhere they go. No, they should because those should be safe place and areas. We need girls to be safe and make sure something like this doesn’t happen ever again.

We need to talk more about this issue and make plans and strategy on ways we can prevent this from happening at all, not ever again because it shouldn’t have happened before either.  

Some nasty men need to learn how to control themselves, not abuse their powers, and learn how to live like a gentleman in our society. If they can’t, then they better sent themselves to prison or to an asylum because something is wrong with them.

Like I said before, I don’t favor the death penalty. But, in this case I would make an exception because what he did was out of the question disgusting and terribly wrong. It’s not for one thing, it’s for two things which was sexual abuse and child porngrapghy.

Sending him to jail for a long time won’t do anything and he deserve to get a better punishment for his crimes because what he did to many many girls make me want to cry and he doesn’t feel sorry at all. He may say he does, but he really doesn’t, which makes me so mad.

Overall, I agree with majority of the people that the punishment doesn’t fit the crime and they should change it, so the girls and women get the justice they deserve in the first place.

I study journalism at Temple University. I’m desi and the happiest person anyone could ever meet. I love writing, reading, and dancing.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus