This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Nowadays, it seems as if every brand is pumping out the same products with the same colors, and it can get rather boring. Many indie brands go unnoticed when they often have better and more unique products. Also, while it may seem a little uncomfortable trying new and different makeup products, often these brands are more affordable than your everyday drugstore brand. The following list of companies are brands that I have tried personally, or brands that I hope to try in the future. By the end of this article, I hope everyone looks into these indie brands and finds something they may want to try for themselves!

Propa Beauty

I found this brand after trying to support more black-owned companies over the past summer, and I was not disappointed. This makeup brand sells only lipsticks, and they are all $12. They have 12 different shades that are pigmented yet buttery and lightweight. I have picked up the shades Victress and Her Magic, which have been my go to lipsticks over the past couple months. The founders of Propa were focused on making pigments and formulas that had women of color’s skin tones in mind. They sought to create colors that would truly look beautiful on any skin tone, and they did not disappoint. Not only does Propa Beauty have a powerful message, but their lipsticks empower women everywhere. 

Mamacita Cosmetics

This company was shown to me by a friend from Instagram, and I automatically fell in love. This brand sells lashes, glitters, pigments, jewelry and much more. However, they are mainly recognized for their potent liner pigmentation. These liners are a one-swipe kind of product, and they come in every color you could ever dream of. This brand is also very affordable, as liner bundles with 6 different colors only cost $20. This small brand should be more recognized for their high-quality items, and everyone should give their products a try.

Juvia’s Place

If you want a super pigmented eyeshadow that shows up on every skin color, try out Juvia’s Place. This brand sells face, eyes, and lip products but are mainly known for their beautiful eyeshadow palettes and full-coverage foundation. As magical as their palettes are for their pigmentation and color schemes, often their foundation is overlooked. For only $20, this brand offers 42 different shades to match everyone’s skin color. While this company is an indie brand, they are offered at Ulta, which makes them more accessible to their customers. Overall, you can’t go wrong with trying any of the products from Juvia’s Place.

Clionadh Cosmetics

Say hello to multichrome heaven. This brand specializes in magical, color-shifting eyeshadows that are also vegan and cruelty-free. The brand is on the more expensive side with single shadow compacts that are sold for $25 each. However, you are definitely paying for the quality. They have almost every multichrome color you could ask for, and they are super pigmented. You can see how powerful and gorgeous these shades are with just a few swatches. This brand is currently closed and out of stock but will be hopefully reopening in November. When it does eventually open, I don’t expect them to stay stocked for long with such magnificent products.

Sugarpill Cosmetics

This colorful and vibrant brand could definitely be one that everyone knows. Sugarpill sells many cosmetic products but are known for their eyeshadows and lipsticks. I was able to try their liquid lip colors, and they do not mess around with pigmentation. These lip colors are one swatch and are not patchy at all. Since they are liquid lipsticks, they are a little drying but nothing that isn’t common for this type of formula. The eyeshadow palettes are their next best-selling product because of their unique packaging and fun colors that aren’t seen in many brands. This brand is a little on the expensive side as opposed to many drugstore brands, but nothing that’s crazy. Liquid lipsticks are $18, and eyeshadow palettes range from $28-$60. While offering products in unique packaging and colors, this is a brand that everyone should check out.

KimChi Chic Cosmetics

If RuPaul’s Drag Race has taught us anything, it’s that we should trust any makeup product that drag queens use. Sang-Young Skin, or otherwise known as Kim Chi, started their own makeup business that is beyond adorable. While being a rather new makeup brand, KimChi Chic Cosmetics offers many makeup items from LED handheld mirrors to metallic cream shadows. However, this brand is mostly looked at for it’s blushes, contour shades, and setting powders. Drag queens are known for their exaggerated facial makeup, so when they are formulated by a drag queen herself, you know they are going to be good. Also, while Kim Chi is a well known drag queen, her products are very affordable. Bronzers and blushes are only $15, and setting powders can be bought for $18. Also, Kim Chi partnered up with artist Ketnipz to create an eyeshadow palette that is humorous as well as beautiful. KimChi Chic Cosmetics should be a household name in the makeup industry and one that everyone should get to know.

While I only listed a few companies, there are hundreds of other indie brands that go unrecognized everyday. Many brands that you can find in Sephora or Ulta recycle the same products, and nothing is really unique. With these smaller brands, you are often getting better quality products and the satisfaction of supporting a small business. My hope is that everyone opens their mind to these indie brands and actually tries some of them. You’ll be surprised at how much you are going to love their products!

I'm a Senior at Temple University studying Biology. I'm originally from Bucks County, PA which is "right outside of Philly". I love to play sports, paint, and do makeup in my free time.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!