This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As kids of the early 2000s, we all dreamed of attending Pacific Coast Academy, riding on a pink Jet-X, eating at Sushi-Rox…and of course being best friends with Zoey Brooks. As the lead character in the hit show Zoey 101, Zoey Brooks embodies the perfect 2005 it-girl we all wanted to be. She plays basketball, designs cute backpacks, and has the dream group of friends. On her first day in room 101, she meets her future besties Nicole Bristow and Dana Cruz. 

While Zoey (Jamie Lynn Spears) and Nicole (played by Alexa Nikolas) are best friends and roomies on the show, things were different behind the scenes. When Nicole’s character was written off, after two seasons, and replaced by actress Victoria Justice, rumors spread about conflict between Nikolas and Spears. 

Though it’s been nearly fourteen years since Zoey 101’s series finale, the drama between the actresses has resurfaced. Spears recently sat down for an interview, on January 18, on Alex Cooper’s popular podcast, Call Her Daddy, where she promoted the release of her book Things I Should’ve Said (2022). 

While the interview was centered around the recent feud between Jamie Lynn Spears and her older sister Britney (you might know her), she also opened up about her recent conflict with Nikolas. 

Alexa Nikolas responded to the drama during her own interview with popular youtuber SLO4N. The video, released on January 15, is titled “Alexa Nikolas Responds to Jamie Lynn Spears’ LIES”. 

During the interview, Nikolas refers to lines in Things I Should’ve Said where she claims Spears’ was fabricating lies about her. For example, Spears mentioned that she and Nikolas “became friends fast” and that Nikolas’ mother walked around like she “owned the set.” Nikolas responded that she was deeply offended by Spears’ attack on her mother and that she did not become friends with Spears quickly at all; in fact it was quite the opposite. 

To add to this drama, Nikolas also revealed that Spears had reached out to her shortly before the release of her book for the first time since they were kids. She claims that Spears sent her a long text message apologizing for their drama and invited Nikolas to be a part of an upcoming Zoey 101 music video.

You may be thinking, why would she invite Nikolas to the Zoey 101 reboot music video right before the release of her new book? Well, it seems that Nikolas had the same suspicions surrounding the encounter. She thought Spears may have been trying to make amends in order to receive positive publicity for reuniting the cast of the show before the release of her book, especially amongst the controversy with her older sister. 

While Britney Spears’ credibility has been questioned in the past, Alexa Nikolas’ coming out with her story supports the claims that Jamie Lynn Spears should also be under the harsh spotlight considering the possibility she may have fabricated most of her book. 

As of right now, it doesn’t appear that either side is rushing to make amends. Nonetheless, the negative publicity surrounding her book has not stopped it from selling off the shelves. If anything, it’s contributed to the book’s success in becoming a national bestseller.

Rosie Hendricks, a junior journalism major at Temple University with a minor in Ancient Mediterranean Studies, often finds themself busy scrolling through social media for the latest scoop on anything arts and entertainment. For insight into what they spend their time obsessing over, click on a few of their articles and immerse yourself in the delights of recommendations, reviews, and more.