“I don’t know about you, but I’m not feeling 22… or 21”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Living in a city overflowing with some of the best bars, BYOBs and night clubs, it can certainly be a bummer to be under 21. As an underage college student surrounded by frat parties crowded with kids pushing their way to the keg, which is entirely froth by now, sometimes you might just wish a fairy god mother would appear and poof! You’d be 21, having a drink at Stateside with some other 21 year old friends, just being 21 and fabulous. If you’re fortunate enough to have a fairy god mother read no further, but if you’re like the rest of us, underage and eager to go out to explore, you’re in luck. Philadelphia has some amazing places to hangout alcohol free, both during the day and at night. After you’ve visited all the major tourist sites like the museums and Elfreth’s Alley (America’s oldest continuously inhabited street), check out some places on this. These are some of my favorite spots in Philly to escape from busy campus life and you don’t need to be 21 to do so.

One Shot Coffee

217 W. George St. Philadelphia

If you’re looking for a great place to really hunker down and edit that Mosaics paper you’ve been putting off, find some inspiration for that script, novel or piece of art you’ve been working on or just hang out with friends and drink some spectacular specialty lattes then head to One Shot Coffee in Northern Liberties. The rustic chic decor offers a comfortable atmosphere to study in, draw or chat with friends. Their specialty themed latte list changes every Thursday. This past week’s theme was Where the Wild Things Are. The combinations One Shot comes up with never fail to please. Cozy up with a latte and one of their homemade lemon bars in the upstairs library filled with books if you need a study break. One Shot also offers live acoustic music shows. In August Jason Mraz showed up and did a free show in the library! One Shot is just a short trolley ride down Girard if you’re looking to take public transportation.

Tea Do

132 N. 10th St. Philadelphia

If you’re feeling adventurous and really want to get off campus then venture over to Chinatown to Tea Do, a bubble tea bar. If you’ve never had bubble tea there’s no time like the present to try it. Bubble tea or boba tea is a cold tea and milk drink with balls of tapioca in the bottom. The drink comes in a variety of fruit and coffee flavors. This Taiwanese drink is refreshing on a hot day and the tapioca is a surprising, but welcome element of the drink. What Tea Do does best is create a bar like atmosphere without being an actual bar. You can customize your bubble tea if you’re feeling creative or you can stick to one of the classics. You’re welcome to sit at the bar and enjoy a meal with your drink or join in a game of Jenga with the other customers at the surrounding tables. The tea bar is a few blocks from the Race/Vine stop on the Broad Street Line and worth the short walk.

Lolita

106 S. 13th St. Philadelphia

Cash Only

If you’re looking for a night out in Center City, Lolita on 13th street is the perfect spot. Lolita is a modern Mexican Bring Your Own Tequila restaurant owned by Marcie Turney and Valerie Safran. Marcie Turney is one of Philadelphia’s hottest chefs, consistently turning out interesting and tasty menus. The pair own 6 stores and restaurants on 13th street. Lolita offers a varied menu bursting with fantastic flavors that will leave you licking your plate clean. The most special thing about Lolita is their homemade margarita mixes. But wait, you’re under 21? No problem. The restaurant doesn’t sell alcohol, just the wonderful mixes that can be enjoyed alcohol free. Those who are over 21 can bring their own tequila, but even the waitresses will say that you can drink the flavorful mixes without the alcohol and enjoy it just as much. Grab a bunch of friends, order a pitcher of the watermelon and mint virgin margarita and consume your guacamole in Center City style. For college students the prices are reasonable and it is ok to share.

Franklin Square Park & Square Burger

200 N. 6th St. Philadelphia

With springtime fast approaching you may be itching to get outside. Franklin Square Park is one of the best hidden attractions that Philly has to offer. The park is not only beautiful in the spring but has a Philadelphia themed mini golf course and a beautiful old fashion carousel. Just because you’re in college doesn’t mean you have to forego your favorite childhood past times. In the spring the park is also home to a farmer’s market so you can load up on fresh produce while you’re there. In the middle of the park is Stephen Starr’s Square Burger cafe. This outdoor cafe has delicious burgers and fresh squeezed lemonade among other treats. It’s Stephen Starr so you know it’s good. Feel free to take a blanket and hangout on the lawn with friends or take a few spins on the carousel, but maybe before you eat lunch.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!