This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

A few days ago, while I trudged to class in my typical “lazy day” attire (brightly printed athletic leggings and a sweatshirt), I got to thinking about how outfits like mine have become the aesthetic of many millennials and gen Z individuals. How did athletic wear, once worn solely for working out, become everday street wear for women?

So let’s start by diving into the history of womens’ workout fashion. The concept and reality of cute athletic attire for women appears to have shifted to the forefront around the 1960s. Before then, workout classes were full of people in petticoats, sweaters and the late editions of shorts and t-shirts. Once the 1960s arrived, we saw the arrival of workout fashion, and a shift in public perception of limitations for womens’ clothing. In the earlier parts of the 20th century, it was considered unladylike to break a sweat and show too much skin, which explains the immensely modest and uniform attire women would wear to exercise. During the 60s and 70s, women began to wear shorter and more form fitting outfits, spanning from the leotard to the newly popularized tracksuit. 

Leaning into the 1980s and the rise of group fitness classes, we saw an array of colors, crop tops, leg warmers and head/sweat bands. Many of these styles carried on until the 21st century, when the masses discovered their love for a more functional fit for athletics. With that, love for yoga pants reached an all-time high, and leotards were replaced with supportive sports bras and tank tops. 

Finally, as we divulge into today’s fit fashion, there is a clear rise in the production of athletic wear, and the amount of everyday usage. Leggings have become a staple in every girl’s wardrobe, no longer just to hit a spin class, but applicable for a lazy day outfit or even a night out. This rise of athleisure is demonstrated through the online retail market. With today’s technological advances, Instagram allow for brands to market to their target audience in a simple, efficient and cost effective way. As a result of historical athleisure and current trends, we see the popularity of leggings, tight crop tops and matching sets (jackets, sports bras, leggings, etc.)! 

From viewing social media and fashion trends at school, there has become a rapid influx of athleisure that permeated into the minds of teenage girls. This “new age” way to communicate and spread information allows for everyone to know what’s going on, and is the main culprit of the rise and spread of workout fashion. 

The increased emphasis on the fashion aspect of workout wear allows for constant creative development. It’s interesting to see what the coming decades will bring to the table and how the rising generations will contribute to womens’ fit fashion. 

Check out this video to see the visual changes in fit fashion through the decades: 100 years Of Workout Style

Just your average college girl exploring the great city of Philadelphia!
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.