Academics

How To Relieve Midterm Burnout

It’s the worst time of year for any college student, and it’s all because of midterms. 

The middle of the semester is always the hardest, you can see the finish line, but you’re not quite there yet. Trying to power through it without taking time to yourself only worsens the burnout feeling.

Taking time to yourself doesn’t have to mean abandoning your work, it means taking a few minutes each day to recharge your energy. Here are five things you can do to help relieve that stress and anxiety. 

Going for walks

You don’t need to for 10+ mile walks, but getting out in the sunlight can help relieve that stress you’re feeling, even if it’s a short period of time. Go at your own pace and listen to some music, or go with a friend to have someone to talk to. Either way, it’s important to take that time out of your room and breathe fresh air.

Getting creative

Whether it’s collaging, painting, or journaling, expressing yourself in a creative way can help relieve stress. Doing these little things often creates a way for you to, temporarily, escape from what’s been on your mind. 

Grab lunch with friends

Ultimately, you need to eat no matter what. Grabbing lunch with friends is the best way to physically recharge your body in preparation for more studying, and laughing with friends is always the best remedy to curing stress.

Learn to say no

Don’t stretch yourself too thin. If your body is telling you to stop, then it’s time to stop. It’s necessary to set boundaries with yourself, and acknowledge that it’s okay to put down your work and take breaks.

Get sleep

Sleep is important but so underrated. If you’re up all night studying instead of taking the necessary amount of time to sleep, you’re setting yourself up for failure. 

This point of the semester is hard, for everyone. It’s important to remember you are not alone in feeling this way, and you will make it through the semester.

Julia Merola is a freshman journalism major at Temple University. She’s currently focusing on campus lifestyle articles. In her spare time, you can find her reading, writing poetry, or trying the newest online workout challenge.