Chi Omega Throw What You Know
Chi Omega Throw What You Know
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

How to Survive Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

So you’re thinking about rushing for a sorority, huh? The process of recruitment can seem quite daunting, and that’s okay! I went into my recruitment weekend having no idea what to expect, and it all turned out just fine. If you’re thinking about registering for recruitment or freaking out about your upcoming rush week, here are some tips to get you through the process.

Be Yourself

The most important advice one could give about rushing is to always be yourself. Sisters are going to be asking you questions to get to know the real you. You never want to change yourself in order to fit into a certain group, you want to be accepted for your authentic self. Always be honest when talking about yourself!

Think of a Few Questions To Ask Before-Hand

Before you begin your rounds for the day, try to think of a few questions to ask the sisters. You can look some up online or perhaps you were given a quick overview of questions the sisters like to hear. Some examples of good questions include what their favorite memory in their sorority is, their favorite philanthropic event, why they picked that sorority, and what makes that sorority different from the others! These questions can give some good insight as to if that organization is the right choice for you.

Learn to Accept Rejection

You may think that you really connect with a certain sorority, but then you are extremely disappointed to see that they didn’t invite you back. If this happens, learn to accept that it just wasn’t the sorority for you. You may get emotional, but you have to remember that it’s their loss, not yours. You wouldn’t want to have to prove yourself to a certain sorority. Appreciate the sororities that do invite you back. They see something special in you and want you for you. Remember that!

Go In With An Open Mind

Try to disregard any stereotypes you may have heard about the sororities at your school. Go into recruitment with an open mind, eager to meet with all the organizations. After all, you are the one that determines if a sorority is right for you- your decision should not be based on anybody else’s opinions.

Go With Your Gut

When trying to pick your top sorority, go with your gut feeling. How did you feel after visiting the sororities? Did one really stick out to you? After I had an amazing, heartfelt conversation with one group, I knew it was the one for me. Most girls feel at home with at least one sorority during recruitment. You will know when you found the one.

I hope these tips help to calm your nerves for recruitment! Always remember: stay true to yourself, and the rest will follow. Good luck and have fun during this memorable process!

Mallory Lawn

Temple '23

Second-year Advertising student at Temple University. Lover of all things music, travel, wellness, writing, and Philly.