etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Ring in Your 21st Birthday The Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I have never been one to downplay birthdays. While they may in fact simply be “another day” they’re also a personal celebration of the life you’ve lead and the living that’s to come! While I’ve never truly felt different with the coming of another birthday, that wasn’t the case for my 21st birthday this year. The truth is, 21 is as great as everyone says it is, and it only feels like it is going to get better. This birthday is as unique as they come so treat it that way by keeping these tidbits of advice in mind.

1. The city is yours!  For those of us who have been limited to cramped house parties and familiar crowds, options are abound now! There is an endless selection of bars and clubs to venture to. All of those extremely fun places your older friends have bragged about for months on ends are now yours to explore too. Take advantage of everything the city has to offer.

2. Goodbye Rejection. You may have developed a reputation at some bars and clubs prior to 21st birthday…and not in a good way. You were the girl with the evidently fake ID. You walked to a bar with all of your older friends, stood in line (probably in the harsh cold on some nights), handed the bouncer your ID and… SIKE! “Sorry, not tonight,” the bouncer says with no tinge of regret.  You take back your ID before he snags it and try to accurately portray how angry you would be to not go in the club as you’re assuming the role of a indignant 21 year old. But, you aren’t 21 so no one buying it and you just look and feel like you need to go home. Bid farewell to these nights

3. More Options. Say goodbye to the same old crowd. The more places you go, the more faces you will see. New friends on new friends. New cuffing opportunities every which way you look. Don’t say goodbye to your old crew, but meet new people. It’s fun and you never know where the night will take you!

4. Responsibility! This is a bittersweet one. Bitter for some of us, and sweet for others. You are 21 now. Time to stop making excuses, and start acting like a semi-adult. Be independent. You can make good decisions or make bad decisions and learn from them. Whatever you choose to do, just make sure you’re down to handle the consequences.

To anyone that’s recently turned 21 or is about to, I hope you celebrate your 21st birthday the way you want to and with the people you love the most. If you are patiently waiting for your time to hit the bar, my advice is: don’t rush it. The anticipation will drive you crazy, but the growing excitement for your special day will be phenomenal!

Last but not least, be safe and be smart. Know your limits and don’t go overboard. But most importantly, live it up and have fun!

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.