How the Pandemic is Changing the Music Industry As We Know It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In the months following a global shutdown, large public gatherings have become virtually nonexistent. Colleges are moving online, live shows are being cancelled, movies are being pushed back, and the list goes on. New social distancing guidelines that limit the number of people allowed in a space are changing the ways in which we carry out our lives. Artists in the music industry who heavily rely on public gatherings to carry out concerts, festivals, and other music-related events have to find new and creative ways to interact with fans. Here are some of the ways in which the pandemic is changing music.

Goodbye Concerts and Festivals (For Now)

Concerts and festivals are one of the largest public gatherings that exist in music today. Thousands of people crowd into a small space to enjoy a live musical experience. Festivals such as Coachella, the Governor’s Ball, and Made in America are cancelled for the rest of 2020. Many artists have had to cancel their tours as well. These kinds of gatherings are impossible to safely manage during a pandemic, so we must be patient. Let’s cross our fingers that festivals and concerts will make a comeback soon!

Virtual Concerts (The New Era of Performances)

With literally everything being moved online, music had to make the transition to online as well. A fun new way to enjoy the company of some of your favorite musical artists is by tuning into a virtual concert from the comfort of your own home. Many artists have taken to live streaming performances on social media, including Instagram Live and Tiktok. Others have hosted professional online performances in which fans purchase an admission to gain access to the performance. The best part of all of this is that these concerts are usually super cheap or even free so you don’t have to break the bank to enjoy your favorite songs.

In times like these, artists need to find creative ways to interact with their fans. Be sure to get online and support your favorites!

Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!