How to Outdress Everyone You Know During the Holidays On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The holiday season is full of good food, family, and old friends. There’s one key aspect of this that people over look- your outfit. Everyone thinks you just rolled out of bed and picked that outfit out of your closet, but only you (and us) know how much hard work you really put into it. Let us do some of the work for you and pick out an outfit everyone at home won’t forget, and save you some bucks too.

Comfy but Cute

This outfit is my personal favorite, and is definitely the best for a holiday a little less formal like Thanksgiving. It’s perfectly on trend with this fall season, especially with the over the knee black boots like these ones from Lulu’s. This sweater from Shein is a perfect Burberry pattern knock off, and the oversized trend is perfect for the holidays- for when you ate a little bit too much stuffing. Paired with your favorite black leggings (these are from ASOS) and some gold hoop earrings from Saks Off 5th, and you’re ready for whatever questions your relatives ask you this holiday season!

Trendy and Chic

Whether it be for a holiday party or an occasion you want to be a little bit dressier for, this is definitely the perfect outfit for when you want to show off your fashion taste. Start off with a basic black skater skirt like this one from Choies (pro tip-pleats like those on this one make your skirt look so much more expensive than it is!) with a gorgeous mustard sweater tucked in like this one from Shein. Mustard colored sweaters are my favorite for the fall- it’s flattering on every skin color and almost every outfit color combination! Paired with a faux fur vest like this Charlotte Russe one (faux fur is another very popular trend!) and some black sock ankle boots-these are from Lulu’s. Pair with some tights on a colder night and you’ll definitely impress all those friends from high school.

Formal and Elegant

There’s always that one holiday event that is unnecessarily dressy and you dread all season, and you never have something formal enough to wear. Lucky enough we can save you the time department store hopping with this gorgeous velvet Nastygal dress, that hits every trend for a fraction of the price. Pair with some black wrap heels like these from Saks Off 5th and a rhinestone choker from Express and you look perfectly put together- for under $100! They’re all pieces you can wear other times too for some extra bang for your buck!

Holiday season is also finals season aka stress season, so you’re welcome for helping you out with some of that. If the freshman 15 and your budget have both been hit hard by the fall semester, we found some great outfits to look your best, and not break the bank. You’re welcome!

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus