This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With the transition into the summer months, I know I am going to have a lot of free time on my hands. But there is no worse feeling than realizing I have wasted a beautiful day looking at my phone, my laptop, or watching TV. Keeping this in mind, I have been learning to lower my screen time.  

It’s been a process for sure, but definitely worth it. I used to spend up to 5-6 hours daily looking at my phone, and even more time watching Netflix and working on my computer. Here is how I got it down to a manageable 2-3 hours daily.  

Do Not Disturb  

If you’re texting me, and I haven’t responded, there is a 99% chance that I turned my phone on Do Not Disturb. Honestly, when it comes to my screen time, it has been a real lifesaver. There are many nonsense notifications that I get on my phone from apps like Instagram and Snapchat that are just trying to lure me back into the app.  

I check my phone eventually of course, but scrolling endlessly is a lot easier to put an end to when I don’t have the constant reminder to come back to the app.  

Planning 

Investing in a good planner has been beneficial for me in many aspects of my life. It can feel really fulfilling when I complete everything on my to-do list. Sticking to a busy schedule and planning my days out keeps me from forgetting about my responsibilities and losing track of time online.  

Goodreads 

One thing that I feel has helped me tremendously is downloading an app. Kind of ironic, isn’t it? More specifically, I’ve downloaded the Goodreads app. 

A few months ago, my friend Abby suggested I download the Goodreads app because she had loved it so much, and I said I had wanted to read more in the new year. With the app, I can set goals and set books aside, in a ‘want to read’ list. I can also see what my friends are reading, it has a social aspect to it which is nice. Unlike other social media, though, I don’t sit for hours scrolling through Goodreads because the whole purpose of the app is to read books.  

It also gives me a feeling of accomplishment that I don’t receive after scrolling for hours online.  

Hobbies  

Picking up some of my hobbies also gives me that sense of accomplishment. I’ll try to learn a new song on the guitar or journal about my week rather than staring aimlessly at my screens.  

I would also recommend getting exercise, going to the gym, or even just a walk-through campus. The intensity of a good work out and some fresh air are great distractions from the incessant need to reach for my phone.  

Challenging Myself  

One of the most effective methods I have found is not looking at my phone when I get up. Waking up, I must make the conscious decision not to check social media. This is more difficult than I thought it would be, to simply turn off my alarm and go make breakfast. From that point on, I try to see how long I can go without checking it.  

Most days I will be a little easier on myself limiting the challenge to certain apps. For example, I spend the majority of my time on TikTok. So, I’ll check the weather, my messages from family and friends, and turn on some music. I check apps where there is little to no chance that I will get distracted from my day.  

It’s a process and not every day is the same. But the effort is important, and this process has left me more satisfied with life.  

Eileen Obetz

Temple '26

Eileen is a Freshman MSP student and this is her first year writing for HER Campus. She is super excited! In her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, playing guitar, and writing.