How the Government Shutdown Would Have Affected ‘90 Day Fiancé’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The most recent government shutdown affected the lives of hundreds of thousands of government employees as well as foreign and U.S citizens for over a month.

While many questioned the status of their international travel plans, the cast and crew of 90 Day Fiancé were becoming unsure of the future of the show.

TLC’s 90 Day Fiancé follows the lives of international couples making use of K-1 visas, available specifically for foreign fiancés of American citizens. Essentially, the foreign fiancé comes to the U.S for up to 90 days, counting on a marriage to their significant others. If the match is good enough to last, they can remain in the United States. If they split, the foreign half of the couple must return to their home country.

However, when the halt in D.C put a major delay on visas, producers were having a difficult time finding a quality cast for viewers to embrace. Unable to lock down a secure set of couples due to requirements for Visa approval, producers were becoming increasingly worried that the shutdown would delay the upcoming seventh season.

A source explained to Page Six that the while the casting was in process, the shutdown was draining the pool of qualified international couples. It stated: “The stories are contingent on a good cast, so it’s harder to find available couples, because it’s following people who have already been approved. The wait is longer.”

There is currently no official start date for season 7 of 90 Day Fiancé

Rita is a sophomore Communication Studies major here at Temple. While constantly pursuing creative outlets, you can find her writing for Her Campus and WHIP (Temple's Student Radio) as well as listening to music or attending a yoga class in her free time. https://ritawrites.wixsite.com/site