This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

A couple of weeks ago, I was scrolling through my Twitter feed and saw a tweet by comedian, Karen Chee, that reminded me of my struggles with imposter syndrome. She said, “bravely combatting imposter syndrome by being genuinely bad.” It was funny to me because that is how imposter syndrome makes me feel most of the time.  

According to Very Well Mind, imposter syndrome is “an internal experience of believing that you are not as competent as others perceive you to be.” This is typically associated with intelligence and achievement, but it can also be related to perfectionism. For me, imposter syndrome is relevant to my involvement in school activities. As a journalism major, almost every activity revolves around gaining career experience. This type of pressure to join clubs and organizations makes things very competitive. When applying for membership for these types of groups, I tend to feel less qualified than I really am. Everyone else seems to be better than me and it can be very intimidating. 

Here are four ways to combat imposter syndrome:

1.  If you don’t already have one, make a Linkedin account and create a resume. Being able to visualize your accomplishments can help you feel more confident and willing to show them off. 

2. Make a vision board. Collect images that reflect all your hopes and dreams and display them at your desk or as your phone background. Seeing a collage of all your manifestations will help you feel more motivated to achieve them.

3. Do not be afraid to aim high and try new clubs. If you have been struggling to earn a spot in a group, do not give up! Keep trying and you will eventually find the right fit. 

4. Take your time. There is so much pressure to establish all your club memberships as soon as college starts. It is okay to try different things before committing to one group. 

Overall, imposter syndrome does not have to control your life. You are going to end up exactly where you need to be, there is no need to worry about being good enough.

Alyssa Threadgill is a senior journalism and theater student at Temple University. She is also a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple. Alyssa takes great pride in her chapter membership, as she started writing for Her Campus as a freshman in 2020. She has always had a passion for media and dreamed of being "the next Oprah Winfrey." From a young age, she was involved in the performing arts, studying classical ballet, tap and jazz for more than 10 years. For Alyssa, having a career in entertainment journalism is the perfect way to combine her two passions. For the past few months, she has been working as a freelance entertainment writer, covering film and television press junkets and other interviews. Alyssa is also a Multiplatform Programming Intern at 6abc in Philadelphia. She is proud to intern at her favorite hometown television station and work alongside journalists she has admired since childhood. Alyssa's career goals include becoming a Red Carpet correspondent and then later hosting her own entertainment talk show on a national network.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!