This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Everyone wants to have fun throughout all four seasons. But, the majority of the time, we cannot help the common colds that creep up upon us. In some cases, this is because of our immune system. So, here are some GREAT vitamins/minerals that can help you kick a cold’s butt before it even has the chance to make you ill.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is a go-to for me when it comes to making sure I avoid colds at all costs.  We usually know vitamin C to be in citrus fruits. Though those are helpful as well to fight off colds or even to prevent them, it is also found in greens such as kale and bell peppers and fruits such as papayas and strawberries. Then, there is also the supplement kind, which you can get on your own or be prescribed by your doctor. 

Iron

Iron is a great source of minerals to help fight off infections as well. It can be found in meats such as chicken, turkey, and seafood. It can also be found in vegetables such as spinach, beans, broccoli, and so on. 

Elderberry

Elderberries are packed with antioxidants that can help to prevent colds. This fruit specifically can be found in many forms for you to take. You can take them as gummies (which are my favorite!). There is also a syrup option and a powder version (this is for people who would rather it be in a more drinkable form).

While we do want to have fun in the leaves or the snowy weather, we also keep our immune system strong and healthy!

I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!