Hillary Street Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Dressing for college is hard. There are so many people to impress.  Friends, professors, the hot boy to our left… the possibilities are endless. But why is it so hard to find the line between showing off what we’ve got, and only showing what we’ve got?

In crisis like these, we could all take some advice from the woman who is truly wears the pants—or, might I say, the pantsuit—in the House.

Because honestly, when hasn’t Hillary Clinton taken the fashion industry by storm? Hillary vibes hot and powerful, and is inspiring the wardrobes of American women far and wide.  Even modern day celebrities imitate her timeless flare.

Hillary has started many fashion movements that she has not received credit for, and we can stay silent no longer.  An up and coming Instagram account, @hillarystreetstyle—which we definitely recommend checking out after reading—has been tracking Clinton’s influence on the fashion industry, and scouting out copycats.  We are definitely impressed, though hardly surprised, with what they have dug up.

Of most precedence, and, arguably her biggest influence on American society thus far—maybe second biggest?  You decide—is the Hillary Clinton pantsuit.

Step back Tay Swift and Kim K, we know who wore it best. 

Thanks to Hillary, business women don’t have walk into work dressed the same as they would to their grandfather’s funeral.  Itchy panty hose and dull black pencil skirts?  Not anymore.  The pantsuit comes in multiple styles, and literally every color.  Which one makes you smile?   

Plus, the pantsuit has since evolved into the modern day jumpsuit, boysuit, and romper—three essentials to the college wardrobe.  Fashion tip: short jumpers are great for hot weather, while longer, stiffer jumpsuits are killer when it gets cold out.  These “suits” offer the practicality of shorts or pants, with the sophistication of a dress.  No matter which style you elect, you’ll look so Hillary, and so cute.

To get Hillary’s exact glam, we thought about hitting up Nina McLemore, her personal fashion designer, but resisted the urge realizing that we were not quite of the wealth—or the age—to pull it off.  Instead, we recommend trying Tobi, or Lulus for some great deals and phenomenal styles!

Thanks Hillary, we’d be trumped without you.

Student journalist at Temple Univerisity with a love for health, humanity and story-telling. Check out my bylines on Philly.com, College Fashionista and The Temple News.
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.