Here’s What You Missed in Entertainment News Last Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This past week has been eventful in the entertainment industry. From the Kanye West’s post-Grammy’s rant to the surprise drop of Drake’s mixtape, things went from “0 to 100” real quick.

For starters, the Grammy’s aired on Sunday, February 8 with several performances from some of the music industry’s most popular and talented artists. Things took an interesting turn when Kanye West walked onto the stage when Beck received the award for Album of the Year. Everyone was immediately taken back to the 2009 Grammy’s when Kanye interrupted Taylor Swift’s speech—a moment that has gone down in Grammy’s history. Luckily for Beck, Kanye let him have his moment. What’s even more notable is his interview with E! News after the show, when he expressed that he truly felt Beyoncé should have won the award for Album of the Year. He also stated that Beck should “respect artistry” and suggested he give up his award to Beyoncé. I know one thing is for sure, if they voted for me for Album of the Year, I would not give up my award.

Next up, R&B singer India Arie got into a slight altercation with Lady Gaga’s bodyguard on the Grammy’s red carpet. India says as she tried to speak to her friend Gaga, the bodyguard swatted her hand away, touching her wrist. India took to twitter to tell her followers about the incident and for whatever reason many of Gaga’s fans attacked India on social media—ouch.

Another update this week on the condition of the late Whitney Houston’s daughter, Bobbi Kristina Houston-Brown. Many rumors have swirled that the family would be taking her off life support, however, this week her aunt Leolah Brown told Atlanta’s Fox 5 news that BK is “doing well right now.”  Let’s hope for a speedy recovery.

In other unfortunate news, it was reported that Bruce Jenner was involved in a fatal car crash in Malibu, California last Saturday that left a 70 year old woman dead and several others injured. Bruce came out just fine, but seemed to be worried about the livelihood of the others involved in the crash.

Drake has done it again with the release of his new mixtape entitled, If You’re Reading this It’s Too Late, which he dropped without warning on February 13. The mixtape contains 17 tracks, including 6p.m. in New York, in which he throws shots at rapper Tyga. Tyga had an interview with Vibe a few months ago where he expressed his ill feelings toward Drake. Drake clapped back on “6PM” saying “I heard a lil homie talking reckless in Vibe/ Quite a platform you chose, you shoulda kept it inside/ Oh you tried, its so childish calling my name on the world stage/ You need to act your age and not your girl’s age.” I have a feeling it’s going to go down between these two.  

Caitlin Byrd is originally from Washington, DC. She is a criminal justice major and an aspiring attorney. She loves to meet new people and writing is one of her favorite hobbies. 
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.