Healthy (But Still Delicious) Holiday Season Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s the holiday season (finally!). Christmas is only a month away. Not only do the holidays bring you together with family and friends but it also brings all the best foods. Instead of worrying about how you’re going to gather up the money to buy gifts this year, let’s first focus on combating the reality of unhealthy holiday foods.

Butternut Squash Ravioli

Okay, okay, I know what you’re thinking. This doesn’t really sound that good. I didn’t think so either, but my mom is trying out that new HelloFresh meal kit that you’re seeing all over Instagram (well, I am at least) and this was one of the meals! I was kind of nervous because raviolis are one of my favorite foods, but I’m not gonna lie– they were pretty delicious. To add on to this, each ravioli is about 20 calories… you can’t beat that!

Green Bean Casserole

Green beans are hands down, the best vegetable out there… you can’t fight me on that one! So naturally, green bean casserole is one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes. The good thing about this dish though is there are a million ways to do it, and you can make it super healthy! So instead of using those delicious french fried onions, replace it with a crispy Panko Parm topping; or maybe replace the cream of mushroom soup with something lighter.

White Meat vs. Dark Meat Turkey

There’s definitely some scientific background to what the difference between white mean and dark meat turkey is, but I’m not too fond of that side. I am, and I’m sure you are too, more interested in the healthy or not part of the equation! Many people choose white meat because there are fewer calories and fat involved, however the dark meat still has its benefits. Dark meat turkey contains more iron, zinc, vitamins B6 and B12, and other scientific things (words I have no idea what they are) that are good for your body. So honestly, you can’t go wrong either way!

Eggnog

Eggnog is the epitome of Christmas beverages, and now there is a way to drink it without feeling guilty, bloated, or sick to your stomach. Make it with some almond milk, honey, egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla extract, and voila! You have yourself a healthy yet delicious version of Eggnog. For everyone who is over 21, here is a little tip: brown liquors taste best (so try bourbon, brandy, or rum)!

The 7 Fish

Ah yes, the old Italian tradition of eating seven different fish on Christmas Eve. I’m not here to tell anyone what fish they should eat (because there are ones you should eat on this holiday), however I am here to give some advice on what fish you could replace for a healthier meal. Some of the healthiest fish are salmon, cod, mahi-mahi, tuna, bass, among others.

There are hundreds of other recipes and hacks to eat healthier this holiday season, if you so choose. It’s crucial to understand that the holidays are all about spending time with family, friends, sharing stories and laughs, and of course shopping. So, don’t feel bad if you put on a little holiday weight because being home, spending time with people you love, and giving yourself a mental break is much more important!

Temple University Fashion and Beauty
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!