Healthy Alternatives to Your Favortie Super Bowl Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The Super Bowl is an event that revolves around two things: football and food. Making this year’s Super Bowl healthy can be super easy! Here are four simple recipes for healthy alternatives to some classic football food. These will make you and your guests feel better about the foods you binged on during that half time panic munchies session.

Vegan White Bean and Barely Chili 

The word “vegan” can sometimes make meat lovers shy away. But this chili is so delicious that people will love it with or without meat! Plus, it’s way healthier. 

Here’s a tip: For easy clean up, use solo cups (of your favorite team’s colors, of course) and serve the chili in them instead of bowls. People will be able to mingle and munch on this fabulous, healthy chili all at the same time while reducing the amount of dishes you will have to do later. 

Ingredients: 

3 Cans- White Beans
2- Bell Peppers
1- Jalapeno (seeded) 
To taste- Cilantro 
3 Cans- Vegetable Broth 
1 package- Frozen Corn/Potatoes/ Carrots (any frozen vegetables you have in the freezer) 
To Taste- Chili powder/Cumin/Garlic/Other Seasonings of your choice 
1 cup- Barley  
Optional: Add sour cream, lime, or avocado on side for garnish

Crispy Zucchini Chips 

This recipe only requires two easy steps that will put a healthy twist on the classic potato chip.

1. Shake sliced zucchini in four tablespoons of light extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a dash of red pepper flakes. All of the ingredients should be to your taste.
2. Place in preheated 215-230 degree oven and let roast them for 2 hours. Make sure the slices are placed flat on a baking sheet. Flip half way through and cook more or less depending on how crispy you want them to be. 

Frozen Real Banana Ice Cream Bar 

Freeze banana slices the night before. Blend up the banana slices in a blender. Add some almond butter, honey and cinnamon. For a topping, some crushed up cinnamon graham crackers are a perfect alternative to a sugary cone. Get creative with this and add some dark chocolate chunks or anything that suits your taste. 

Buffalo Chicken Dip 

Everyone knows that if you have buffalo chicken dip at a party, you are instantly a great host. And who says it can’t be healthy? By simply switching up a couple key ingredients, you will feel better about eating that extra plate of the best dip ever created.

1. Switch out the cheese, cream cheese and ranch/blue cheese with low fat, reduced fat, or if you want to get really fancy, organic.

2. Switch out the regular tortilla chips with celery sticks. This is truly the key step. Celery burns calories and is a lighter match with the dip. It will allow you to enjoy the dip, eat it slower, and feel like you are working out while eating. It’s a win, win, win, and we aren’t talking about the game.

3. Portion control! No this will not be the last time you will have buffalo chicken dip, and yes there are other things just as delicious. Leave the third helping and go enjoy something else. 

Your guests will leave feeling full, and only you will have to know just how healthy the snacks were that you served. These snacks are still as delicious as an orginial meaty chili recipe and I guarantee people will barely notice the difference. 

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.