This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

From a communication tool to a fashion statement, let’s talk about headphones…  

The History of Headphones  

The history of headphones dates back to the 1930s when they were first developed and simply used as a way for telephone operators to communicate with members of the Navy. It wasn’t until twenty years later that they were developed for radio and listening to music. Since then, headphones have become more than just a practical way to listen to music (Audio 64).   

In the 1980s, people started wearing them outside and the cups got smaller and easier to use on-the-go (Gym Hugz). If you take a walk down any street, take public transportation, go to an airport, the gym, or even to the grocery store you will see someone wearing something over or in their ears.   

We’ve evolved from wired to wireless with Bluetooth connection while noise cancellation has also become a prominent feature. There are so many unique styles and brands to choose from, but over the ear headphones are definitely “in” right now. Most people might think of headphones as a way to listen to music or a podcast, but they’ve easily become an essential part of expression and fashion in the 21st century.  

Popular Brands 

Now, think about how you choose a pair of headphones to buy. Do you base your decision on the specifications alone or do you tend towards an aesthetic design? Do you think about which color would go best with your outfits?   

It’s okay to like what we like, and sometimes our purchasing decisions are based more on aesthetics than technicalities. Nevertheless, headphones are a fashion accessory and choosing them is like choosing what hat or shoes to wear with an outfit.   

Apple  

One of the most popular brands and styles of headphones comes from Apple. Their Airpods Max were released in December 2020 in five assorted colors, space gray, pink, green, silver, sky blue. These are a bit on the pricey side, but they are definitely a fashion accessory and complete any outfit.   

Beats  

Beats by Dre have also become one of the most well-known brands of headphones around the world (audio46.com). They show off style and offer the quality people expect for the price they pay. Some excellent features of this brand include lightweight, noise-cancellation, and comfort.   

Two of my personal favorite styles are Beats Solo, offered in black, rose gold, and red and Beats Studio, offered in matte black and shadow gray. They’re perfect for wearing out just about anywhere.   

Sony  

Sony also has a few fashionable options, the Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones are sold at various department and tech stores in black and beige. They’re the perfect minimalistic and neutral-colored headphones to spruce up your look.   

Decorating Your Headphones  

I’ve noticed a lot of people adding mini stickers to their headphones and this is an upcoming trend that I think is perfect for highlighting your personality and style.  Two women owned small businesses that sell the cutest mini stickers are Mustard Yard Press and The Lovely Disco.   

Mustard Yard Press is a LGBTQ+ an Latina owned fan merch store run by Karolina Balderrama from Sonora, Mexico. It started as an Etsy shop based in California and since then has evolved into its own website. She has over eighty sticker designs ranging from Harry Styles and Taylor Swift to Marvel and Twilight. Karolina is always releasing new and trendy stickers that are perfect for accessorizing your headphones, so be sure to check out her Instagram @mustardyardpress and check out her stickers here!  

Another shop goes by the name of thelovelydisco and is run by Valentina Maude. Her shop is based in Orlando, Florida and she is known for her affordable and adorable Harry Styles, New York, and Spiderman themed mini stickers. Valentina’s online shop is currently closed as she is working hard to package all the current orders, but you can keep a lookout for the reopening on her Instagram @thelovelydisco and sign up for the emailing list here!  

There are so many other options to choose from so hurry up and hop on this trend, purchase a pair, and decorate them to fit your personality and fashion style!   

Maddie is a junior at Temple University double majoring in Communication and Social Influence and Journalism. She currently serves as the co-events coordinator for Her Campus at Temple University where she helps organize and execute fun get-togethers for staff writers. Prior to becoming an events coordinator, Maddie was a fashion and beauty staff writer where she wrote outfit reviews and gave style advice. She is currently a junior at Temple double majoring in Communication and Social Influence and Journalism. Outside of Her Campus, Maddie writes for a variety of news outlets. She is a freelance writer for The Temple News, Temple University's independent student-run paper where she writes for the opinion section. Maddie recently became a senior reporter for The Temple Templar, Temple University's independent student-run yearbook where she writes about students, campus life, and events. She also writes for Pleaser, an online concert and music magazine and Refine, an online women’s blog. In her free time, she enjoys exploring the city, going to concerts, thrifting, and journaling.