This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

My thoughts on House of the Dragon, the prequel to Game of Thrones, a new series that airs every Sunday at 9 pm EST.  

At first glance, the news that Game Of Thrones was going to have a prequel seemed too good to be true. Unfortunately, almost every new show that is a prequel or a continuation of another show tends to disappoint a lot of audiences and is simply not of the same quality as the original. It can be some of the same characters or new characters involved in these new shows but most of the time the excitement and nostalgia are not present when watching.  

Game of Thrones prequel titled House of the Dragon focuses on the Targaryen family and how they came to rule. When I  watched the first episode, I was amazed at how well the show was scripted and although it has a similar premise as Game Of Thrones,  it is different. The show was set two centuries before Game of Thrones, as well as before The Mother of Dragons was born, Daenerys Targaryen.  

So far,  I think the new series is amazing and intriguing. I believe that you do not have to watch Game Of Thrones first, since House of the Dragon is set in a different time and has new characters. However, there are some small details that the new show might mention that allude to references from the original show.  

Although there are only a few episodes out,  there is no telling on how the show will go on, but there might be some predictions as to how the show will unfold. Without spoiling anything, I recommend that everyone watches the House of the Dragon, even if you have not watched the original series. There are so many jaw-dropping moments, as this show has moments that you would not expect. The plot will twist and turn, so definitely tune in to see what’s next for these characters.  

Nathaly is a college student at Temple University in her second year. She is currently majoring in journalism and minoring in dance.