yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Halloween Review: The Philadelphia Ghost Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This week I went to The Original Philadelphia Ghost Tour in Old City. (http://www.ghosttour.com/philadelphia.html) I had always wanted to go on a ghost tour, but I was always too scared to go by myself. So, with my coworkers beside be, I braved-up and went on the tour. Here’s how it went:

The tour started off in Old City at Signers Garden on 5th & Chestnut Sts. It was 7:30p.m. so the sun had already set, which made it so much creepier. Our tour guide, Megan Hansen, was dressed in a black robe with a cape and was carrying an orange-lit lantern around with her during the tour, setting the creepy mood.

We walked around Old City and stopped at certain buildings and areas that were supposedly haunted by ghosts. Megan explained the horror stories and left the group to decide whether we believed the tales or not. She also encouraged us to take pictures of these places to see if we caught a glimpse of a ghost, because people on previous tours had gotten pictures of ghosts. She showed us the pictures and they were actually pretty convincing…so I will definitely be steering-clear of those buildings in Old City.

When I asked Megan about how people typically react to the tour she said, “Sometimes you get a lot of people who are really shocked by a lot of these stories just because of how gruesome a lot of them are.”

Megan also said that the tour highlights historical facts that people wouldn’t expect.

“Just the fact that there is so much dark history of the city that they don’t tell on tours, like yellow fever and the fact that there are dead bodies everywhere especially in Washington Square and parks that people normally have picnics at, I think that’s the coolest part,” she said.

I don’t want to spoil too much of the tour because the stories are what made up the majority of the fun, but I would definitely recommend it for people who like scary stories but don’t like when dressed-up actors pop out and try to scare you. For $15 and only 90 minutes, the tour was definitely worth it.

Temple sophomore majoring in journalism and film. Lover of big cities, delicious food, and awesome films.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus