This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Our skin faces problems year round. In the spring, our eyes can get puffy and our skin can get red from allergies. In the summer, there are risks of sunburn, and I can never, never, never ever avoid breakouts! In the fall and winter, our skin dries out. It gets cracked, dry, flaky and itchy. This sucks, because then I can’t wear makeup! Not that there’s anything wrong with a natural face, because there isn’t. But, I prefer to wear makeup for my photoshoots and I rather enjoy photoshoots outside. Here are some tips I use to keep my skin looking fresh, hydrated and plump in the colder months.

The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media

Morning Prep

When I first wake up, I wash my face with only warm water to open my pores. Then I use a moisturizer with sunscreen. Just because it is winter does not mean there is no sun radiation. Even when there is snow on the ground, use SPF, since the sun’s rays can bounce off the snow and on to your face. That is also why you will catch me wearing sunglasses in the winter, lol. It’s not weird at all (shrugs)

Going Out

Like I already said, I usually shield my eyes from the sun in the winter and my face with a hat. Covering your skin will likely keep your skin from drying out even more. It’s not that hard, because you can simply put up your hood, put on a scarf and a pair of gloves. My hands get chapped way more easily than my face, so I always carry a pair of gloves.

Steps During the Day

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! When it is cold out, the last thing I want to be doing is drinking water, but that is going to help the body retain moisture. Drinking water will also help make your lips less flaky and look more  plump. Lips are such an important part of our body, since they are quite an important feature of the face in conversation. So, that’s why I also carry around chapstick, too.

Nighttime Routine

Before bed, I take a shower to get that feeling of the city off of my skin. I will exfoliate my face and use a scrub on my body, only if my skin isn’t too dry. If it is too dry, it will be irritated. After stepping out, I pat my skin gently with a towel and apply a cream, lotion or ointment. I have tried so many kinds of moisturizers for my face and find that sleeping with Vaseline really works best! I moisturize my face again when I wake up in the morning and then I do not have to worry about reapplying the remainder of the day.

Winter skincare is easy because it is so simple. Most products (makeup, serums, etc.) have moisturizer already. The best thing about winter is that I don’t even have to worry about breakouts. I just carry a bottle of moisturizer and chapstick around and hydrating is all I have to pay attention to during the day. A winter skincare routine is fairly cheap and knowing that makes us hate winter less!

Ashley Regina Morris is a staff writer for HerCampus at Temple University. She is a communication studies major with a minor in tourism and hospitality management and balances academic life while working at a restaurant and for a hotel. Come to her for fashion and beauty advice if you are on your way to the working world or are a commuter student.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.