Great Reads to Snuggle Up with During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

After a long semester of required readings, it’s time to kick back and dive into your own personal book collection. Reading is fundamental; it’s important to keep reading beyond the classroom.  Also, since winter weather is approaching, it’s a great time to snuggle up with a book, or a Kindle if you’re up on technology. If you’re looking to add to your collection these books are definitely page-turners.

#Girlboss, written by Nasty Gal CEO Sophia Amoruso, is a great read for young women who want to become businesswomen or entrepreneurs. Amouruso details her journey building her brand, which is now a $100 million plus online fashion retailer. She also offers up sound and useful advice for women looking to become successful in any industry. If you’re looking to take charge of your life and career, give this book a chance.

Zane’s Addicted: A Novel, has recently been turned into a movie. However, it is a thrilling romance novel about a successful African-American businesswoman who is seeking more pleasure and passion out of life. She gathers the courage to seek therapy and reveals her darkest fantasies, and in turn, engages in many sexual escapades. This lifestyle becomes extremely dangerous and is full of consequences; she goes as far as to jeopardize her marriage and her sanity.  To find out more about her story, pick up a copy of Addicted.

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood is about three college friends, Tony, Charis, and Roz who all have a disdain for their classmate Zenia. Zenia is out to ruin their lives and is successful with her emotional disguises and manipulative ways.  As a result of Zenia’s evil ways, the friends have lost their men and money among other things.

Americanah is a story about race and love by author Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. Two lovers, Ifemelu and Obinze escape military ruled Nigeria to find a better lifestyle in the west. Ifemelu is successful in reaching America, however, Ifemelu is not so lucky after the 9/11 attacks and ends up in London. After fifteen years, both of them end up back in a democratic Nigeria, where they rekindle their love and romance.

Over the long break, cuddle up with one or all four and tap into your inner bookworm.

Caitlin Byrd is originally from Washington, DC. She is a criminal justice major and an aspiring attorney. She loves to meet new people and writing is one of her favorite hobbies. 
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.